thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

'the rift'

WHEN LUCY WOKE UP THE next morning, she felt better

WHEN LUCY WOKE UP THE next morning, she felt better. Knowing her cousin was safely sleeping in his bed – at home – had given her the best night's sleep she'd had in a week.

Despite everything else accompanying Quil's return, Lucy felt somewhat okay. The main thing, she decided firmly as she awoke, was that he was back. Everything else was secondary. He was home and he wasn't mad at her.

But as much as she fought to ignore it, she was overwhelmingly confused, and actually quite hurt. When she stumbled into the only bathroom, fixing the jeans she had thrown on, she hesitated as she spied his large figure. He was brushing his teeth and sent her a sloppy grin through the mirror.

"G'orning," He said, mouth full of toothpaste.

Lucy tentatively stepped into the room, picking up her hairbrush. "Morning, Quil."

Now that she knew he was fine, the words he spat at her, and his treatment to her last Friday had resurfaced in her mind. Whatever he had been going through prior to his vacation had seemingly disappeared, and only now could she reflect on his anger.

Families fought, yes, but he sure sounded convincing when he implied that he wanted her gone.

As she ran the brush through her dark locks, she was struck by how uncomfortable she felt – how out-of-place. Eventually, after a silence that wasn't altogether too comfortable, Quil rinsed his mouth and turned to her with a grin.

"What are you up to today?"

"Um...". She thought for a second, cheering up slightly at the fact that she was on break. "Nothing much. I was thinking about baking something, but I don't know yet. Uh, what about you?" Her response sounded awkward even to her ears.

Her cousin stretched his arms above his head, literally hitting the roof as he did so. "Well, apparently I'm making blueberry muffins with you."

"Blueberry muffins?" She enquired, applying the minty toothpaste on her toothbrush.

"Correct." He confirmed.

Lucy raised a brow. "And you've decided this when?"

"About two seconds ago," Quil pretending to count the seconds on his fingers. "If you're baking, then you may as well whip up the best food."

The brunette was well aware that those particular muffins were her cousin's absolute favourite food, and a tentative smile settled on her lips. "Ish shat sho?" She mumbled through a mouthful of toothpaste, scrubbing her teeth.

"Yesh." He stated, mocking her. "Shats right."

The girl levelled a glare at him as she finished up, spitting into the sink. She made quick work of fixing up her face, deciding to abstain from makeup today, and rearranging her glossy hair.