epilogue

Rayyan woke up with a start. Why was it suddenly so peaceful? His chest was drool free, his arms were not sore and he had a blanket over his body?
Where was his son? Did he roll off of his chest while sleeping? But he doesn't turn yet. Did he drop him? Oh Allah no! What has he done.

He began to get up hurriedly but then realized that the other occupant of his cocoon was also missing. His wife. Both of them had made it a habit to cling to him while sleeping.
His son slept only on his chest, drooling away, not wanting anything on his little body except for his parents hands, not even a blanket; while his wife on his other arm holding their baby as well.

He fell down on his pillow with a thud and began reflecting on their life in the past four months.

Musa was a pensive baby but he demanded attention round the clock. Surprisingly, unlike the other babies and as legend has it, he slept soundly through the night. But he made up for it the entire day by not sleeping much and keeping everyone on their toes. Duaa and their entire family couldn't keep up with his tantrums.

His family went back last month when his mother was sure that the both of them were now equipped with enough arsenal of tricks and experience to handle the Boss Baby! That's what his wife calls their son.
He snickered at that thought. She makes him out to be some big shot mafia leader running a tight enterprise. He kind of does.

Not getting the planned sleep, he decided to venture out and see what his troops were up to. He's beginning to sound a lot like his wife now!
He found them in the nursery.

Duaa's long hair were dripping wet and created a patch at the small of her back. She looked sensational in that tea pink dress. His favorite color on her. And she did everything to please his senses. Who would say she's a mother now and just gave birth not even four months ago! Did he luck out or what?

His son was laying on the changing table flailing his hands and legs while his mother talked away. Theirs was a delightfully funny one sided conversation. Although Musa did reply in incoherent babbles. He just stood as a passive bystander not wanting to intrude on the mother-son moment.

"...and did you learn something useful or were you just basking in the praises of your Dadajaan and Dadijaan?" She suddenly frowned, "Aap bohot badmaash ho gaye hai Musa. Mama ne aapse kya kaha tha abhi thode waqt pehle? Hum ne abhi aapke kapde change kiye hai aur aapne phir se susu kar diya? Kyu aap itna pareshaan karte hai mama ko?" She playfully reprimanded him. His son just laughed in glee at having caused another bout of irritation on his Mama's face.

Rayyan then made his presence known and announced that he would take care of Musa.
"Begum, apne iss bechare shohar ko chai pila do please. Hum inka khayal rakhte hai tab tak."

Her breath hitched at seeing him in his bed raggled hair and sleepy face. She's in no imminent danger of falling out of love with this magnanimous man. Shyly looking down at her own thoughts she rushed to get past him when he caught her arm and pulled her towards him.

"Bete ke saamne shohar ka koi martaba nahi hai kya ab?" Not getting his words, she looked up at him with her big eyes brimming with confusion. That was his undoing. Her innocence. He kissed her soundly before patting on her bottom to get going.

Horrified at his scandalous behavior she just ran away, not having the courage to look him in the eyes. After having a son together, she still can't get over her school girl crush on her husband and behaves the same as when they first got together.

Rayyan's eyes were on the departing figure if his wife when his son started a string of angry gurgles.
"Okay, okay! I get it. You want attention. And also possibly a change of clothes."
Rayyan took Musa and gave him another bath along with himself. He then dressed his son up as a Mini-me right down to the socks.
With the same steel gray eyes and unruly, wild curls; no one can deny his son's paternity.