Epilogue

Six years later:

Kiara

"Remember, what screws us up the most in life is the image formed in our minds of how everything is supposed to be. So don't forget to trust yourself instead of doubting yourself," I glanced around at the numerous faces staring at me in the dimly lit auditorium. "With that, I want to end this presentation by reminding you to not be afraid to seek help and never think twice of helping another," I finished my speech, bowing my head.

The claps of the many people in the audience echoed around me, ricocheting off the walls. With a smile on my face, I stepped off the stage, my nude heels clicking against the wooden hardboard.

I was now a mental health consultant and was doing what I loved, helping people with the problems in their minds. I had managed to make Mom proud and provide her with the luxury she deserved. And I made sure as hell that she wasn't unhappy for a single second.

Living in a house in the suburbs with a vast garden where she planted various species of plants, I doubted she wasn't happy. Plus, after a mindful talk with Dad, I had knocked some sense into him. Now he had limited the time he went out with his friends and was spending more time with Mom. I was jubilant, just seeing them happy.

"That was amazing!" Rose rushed towards me and clapped in my face as I swung my beige trench coat around me. "Ki, you didn't stutter one bit!"

I grinned at her. "Really? I was so nervous that my feet were shaking."

She shook her head, her short, silky hair--which was now a glorious auburn hue--whipping around gracefully. "I didn't even notice, don't worry. It was great! I was surprised to see even the class clown, Jesse, listening for once."

I laughed at that. Rose always used to complain about that one annoying student in her psychology lectures that by now, I could easily recall his name.

"By the way, how's it going with Quinn?" I asked.

"We're going to her parent's place this weekend, and I'm kind of nervous."

"Ro, that's amazing!" I hugged her tight. "You don't have to worry about anything. Just be yourself. They're going to love you!"

She beamed at me thankfully before abruptly questioning, "So, you sure your favourite dog breed is a retriever?"

"That's so random," I commented, giving her a pointed look. "But yes. Though, it's actually difficult to have a favourite breed with puppers. Nevermind, I can't choose, I don't have a favourite breed."

I felt her tense up beside me, making me glance at her in confusion. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head aggressively. "Oh, nothing." Glancing airily at the silver watch on her wrist, she let out a gasp. "Holy . . . I've got to run, Ki! The lecture is in ten minutes."

I cracked up at that. She was such a busy bee now that she was a professor. "Of course, Ro, good luck!" I yelled behind her as she sprinted to the staff room, waving a hand at me.

Striding out of the University, which was once where the best phase of my life started, I couldn't help feeling nostalgic. The oak tree at the edge was still standing proudly and the moments when Rose, Hayden, and I used to bicker under it crept into my mind. A smile played on my lips as I recalled the old days.

Hearing my ringtone's familiar tune, I pulled out my phone from my purse and glanced at the screen before answering the call with a grin.

"Hello, Mom."

"Hi, sweetie. How did your presentation go?"

"It went well. Mom, I feel proud," I said, my voice nearly breaking.