an old friend

❝ LIGHT AND DARK ARE INTERTWINING,
STANDING HERE FACE TO FACE.
BETRAYAL BURNS AND THERE'S NO HIDING.
IT CUTS DEEPER THAN A RAZOR BLADE. 

A golden sword deflected her strike, shocking her as she looked at the sword's wielder. His face was hidden by his hood, but she stared into his hazel-gold eyes which seemed familiar and was glaring back into her own ocean ones with burning rage. 

The hooded figure took advantage of her state of shock, pulling her closer to him and driving his fist into her jaw, causing her to stumble back before landing a hard kick to her side, sending her flying back. 

Kara stood back up, wiping the blood that was seeping from the punch before glaring murderously at the hooded male. She adjusted her grip on her sword and darted towards him, striking him with blows after blows as the two became a blur to the rest of the Avengers, who had managed to break through the wall of water and were helping Thor fight the sea titan. 

Their swords clashed against each other with a huge thud, causing the ground below them to slightly rumble. The champion of Chaos managed to land a deep cut on his arm as he side-stepped a second too late, but not before swiping a long gash on her side. 

Kara managed to recover first and moved forward to slam her fist into his face, but he sidestepped and smashed his fist against her shoulder with brute force, numbing her arm for a moment and giving him a chance to move backwards. 

She tried to launch another powerful punch at him, though he saw it coming and ducked to the side, causing the daughter of Poseidon to unbalance her footing, giving him a chance to grab her ankle and throw her across the ground. 

"I thought you were stronger for a champion of Chaos," he mocked her. 

Kara's breath hitched for a second. That voice sounded so familiar to her ears, but she couldn't seem to place where she'd heard it before. 

The daughter of Poseidon snarled at him before lunging at him in a blink of an eye and punched him hard in the stomach, knocking the air out of his lungs before disarming him by locking her sword with his and twisting it out of his grip, and shoved him to the ground, sprawled on his back with her sword by his neck. 

The hooded man just chuckled, making her raise her eyebrows. "You never cease to surprise me, Kare-bear." 

He smirked at Kara's shocked face. No one called her that nickname except a certain few, but they all were dead.

"How do you know me?" She snarled, pressing her sword deeper by his neck, drawing a bit of blood. 

"Aw, you've already forgotten about me, wolfie. I'm deeply hurt," he said in a fake-hurt tone, before pulling his hood back. 

Kara lost her grip on her sword against his neck, looking at his face as if she'd just seen a ghost. "N-no, no. No! You died in front of my eyes. It can't be. The Fates are messing with me." 

"Oh yes, I did die. But well, you see." He disarmed her in a second, holding her own sword by her neck, the positions now switched. "Milord had better plans for me." 

Kara's eyes widened. "You're the champion of End." 

He smirked. "Yep." 

"H-how c-could you accept his offer, Drake? How could you betray me and join him? You were like a brother to me," Kara choked out. 

"End offered me another chance at life and to bring down the gods. I had to accept. When he rises, he promises that he'll destroy Olympus and those pathetic Olympians and be a better ruler than they could've ever been. Why don't you join me Kare-bear? We can kill every single one of them one by one. Just like old times, huh?" 

Kara managed to snap out of her shock and kicked him back. "You're not the Drake who I was best friends with and loved like a brother. The Drake I knew died a hero in the Titan War. He would've never accepted the offer." 

Drake's eyes darkened. "People change, Kara. You of all people should know that. When I realised that you were the Champion of Chaos, you have no idea how much anger I felt towards you." 

"That one of my best friends was the champion of the Creator of the Universe and yet, you couldn't save me, or Thea or Hunter. That you had all this power to avenge our deaths and kill those pathetic gods, but instead, you aided the ones who killed me and others in the first Titan War, in the second Titan War. You're not the Kara I knew. The Kara I knew was hell-bent on making the Olympians fade. If anything, you're the one that betrayed me," he spat, hate burning in his eyes. 

Kara's eyes swirled with so many emotions, feeling the pain and guilt that she had pushed deep down, beginning to tear her apart on the inside. She tried to form some words, to answer him, but she couldn't, her mouth only opening but then closing back again. 

"I'm sorry Kara, but I have to kill you now. I really am sorry, but I can't defy End." Drake summoned his sword, before charging at her, making her snap out of her frozen state just in time to block his attack. 

"Please don't do this Drake," she pleaded, pushing against his strikes. 

"I can't let you ruin our plans, Kara," Drake replied, rolling over her, leaving a huge gash behind her back, making her yelp in pain as blood poured from her back wound. 

He went to strike her again, but Kara side stepped, impaling her sword deep into his leg as he roared in anguish. She swiped him from under his feet as he landed hard on his back with a thud. 

"You can still join me Drake. Please don't do this," Kara offered, a pleading look in her eyes while he shook his head. 

"You might've won this battle, Legend, but you've already lost the war. Till next time," he spat before disappearing into thin air and the daughter of Poseidon turned to see that the sea titan, who was in Thor's grasp, also vanish.