Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Derrick’s POV

‘I know you’re already late but, aren’t you going to get ready for work?’ Angela asked me.

We were still sitting on the couch, she had her legs up against her chest with her arms around her legs and her head resting against her knees.

‘No.’ I answered her.

She looked at me confused and I realized I had forgotten to tell her but I thought she had heard me talking on the phone.

‘Sorry, I thought you heard me earlier.  Before I read the statement and almost bumped into you while you were getting out of the bathroom I called work and left a message to Max saying that I wasn’t coming in today.’ I told her.

She was still looking at me confused but I didn’t know what else to add.

‘Why wouldn’t you go to work?’ she asked me.

‘Well…I didn’t want to rush, reading it then us, talking…plus I wanted to see if Amanda would say something else to me.’ I said, be honest.

I knew if I had one chance with Angela, honesty was the way to go.  She hated when people lied to her, she didn’t care what it was about, you lied once and in her books you were done.

I could see she was smiling, even though her lower face was almost hidden by her knees, I could still see it.

When she’d smile and I was the one who made her smile, somehow…it made everything seem perfect.  I had never had that with anyone else before.  Now, I had two ladies in my life that had the same effect on me, Angela and our daughter Amanda.

‘She probably will, well…it’s pretty much guaranteed but don’t make a big deal of it because that would probably scare her a bit.  If she see’s that nothing has changed and you’re still being and acting like you, it’s going to reinforce the trust she has for you.’ She told me.

‘I’m curious about something…if you hate me so much, why do you help me?’ I asked her.  ‘I know I’m her biological father and all but, you could leave and she wouldn’t miss me.’ I asked.

She took a deep breath and looked around the room.

‘Yeah she’s your kid but…I know you, or used to know you…and me knowing how you are or were, she’d miss a hell of a lot.  I never doubted you being her dad and you both having that relationship.  You will be and already are a great father.  You’re taking the steps that are needed because she doesn’t know you.  Not everyone would take the time and go slow.  Most people would rush and want to know everything from day one.  I’m not pushing her to talk to you, yeah I talk about you with her but…this is her speed and you’re letting her take the lead.  That’s why she spoke to you last night, that’s why she likes you.  Keep it up and…she’ll love her dad like I knew she would.’ She told me.