Chapter 36

Riley's POV

Russell had called me into his office after my training with Jason, he had me sit down in a chair for 10 minutes before he actually started talking. "How's your training going?" He asked with a small smile on his face. 

Could he know? 

"It's going really good. We're working now on how to use my weapons without actually looking at the target." I try to keep a straight face so that I don't give anything away, but something tells me that this isn't about the plan. A million thoughts run through my head as I sit in front of him. 

Could he have overheard me and Jason? Was Emily caught? Were we  being watched this whole time and we didn't know it? 

"Good. We had an unusual activity last night, but we didn't find anything. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?" He asked, staring me down. I could tell that he wasn't sure if it was me who had something to do about it, but I couldn't possibly think of a way that it could lead back to us and if Emily was caught, he would've kept her. He was bluffing. 

"No, sir." I said shaking my head. He held my gaze for a few seconds before looking at some papers that were at his desk. He knew something was up, he  just didn't know what it was. 

"Good. We wouldn't want anything to break our deal, right?" He said giving me a smirk. My blood started to boil and I told myself to calm down and not let it get to me. "I haven't done anything to break our deal, Russell. You of all people should know that, I'm training day and night to be your little sidekick. Have a little faith in me." With that I got up from the chair and walked out of the office. I was so mad I could hear a ringing sound in my voice, I didn't know where I was going but I knew I had to get out of here. 

I got out of the pack house and I walked until I found a small lake that was a few hours away from the pack house. It couldn't have been too deep, but you could see a few fishes swimming around. I sat down on a piece of wood that was at the edge of the lake and looked around. Everything was so peaceful here, no training, no plans, just me and the lake. A few minutes later, I heard a rustling sound and someone cursing. 

"You're not suppose to be here." I said, knowing already who the person was. "If Russell finds out, he'll kill us both." I said as the figure sat down next to me. I was engulfed by his scent and I could feel all the weight that I've been carrying leave my shoulders. "What happened to 'I want to do this'?" I said with a small smile on my face to which I already knew the answer. 

"You can't keep me away from you, Riley" Adam said as I turned to look at him to find already looking at me. "You're the only thing that's keeping me sane." He said as he cupped my cheek with his hand and kissed me. The butterflies erupted in my stomach and as I kissed him back I felt at home. His lips were soft and claiming mine as he deepened the kiss but before it got out of hand I put a hand on his chest and pushed him away lightly. 

"We can't keep doing this." I said with a sad voice, I could the bags under his eyes and how bloodshot they were. His hair was a mess, more then usual, and his bones were starting to poke out. He was slowly dying in front of me and I couldn't do anything about it. I placed my hand on his cheek and he rested in head on it and took a deep breathe as if  he could finally breathe. 

"I know." He said in a low whisper. One of the times that I went  for a walk in the woods, I had found Adam and I had run to him crying because I thought he was dead. We had stayed together for a couple hours before we realized that it was dark and Russell would suspect something. After that, it was like he knew where I was and  he would find me. I tried to go away as far as possible to keep him safe but I grew tired of it and decided that the lake would be our meeting spot. But after my talked with Russell, I knew it was starting to get too dangerous. 

"You're not taking care of yourself." I said with tears in my eyes. He opened his eyes again and gave me a kiss on the hand. "I'm okay." He said in an attempt to make me feel better. "I know you're planning something. I don't know what it is, but I know you." I stayed frozen, I knew Tyler and Emily wouldn't say anything, but how did he know? "Whatever it is, promise me you'll be safe." He said as he held both of my hands in his. I don't know if he could tell, but his hands were shaking. I couldn't find my voice so I nodded my head. He gave me a kiss on my forehead and walked away. 

I stayed there for a few more minutes before I made my way back to the pack house. I found Jason sitting at the steps with an angry look on his face. "You need to put a stop to this." He said as he stood up and walked over to me. "We're going to get caught."  He said as he looked around to see if anyone was out here with us. "I know." I said in a tired voice, I wanted all of this to be over. I wanted to go back with Adam and be with him. "I think we both knew this was the last time we were going to see each other." I said in a low voice. Jason gave me a nod and went inside the pack house. I trailed after him and made my way to my room. I washed the day away, put on my pjs and laid down on the soft sheets. I stared at the ceiling until sleep took over me. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So sorry for the short chapter but I wanted to upload something. I hope you guys are doing good, stay safe and wear your masks! Much love <3