Chapter 2 Part 1: The Game Begins

Man, I'm tired. 

Maria and I stayed up entirely too long talking about the capture targets and our mutual reincarnation. Since Maria played through the game to 100% completion, she knew a lot about the story. What had us both nervous was how our reincarnation was going to affect it. Will the story continue with its predetermined route or will we drastically alter it simply by being different people? We decided on a few things we felt wouldn't change. 

1. The personalities of the capture targets. Neither of us have meet any of the capture targets prior to starting the academy. Their personality was unlikely to deviate from the game. But we did agree that a real person is more complex than a game character, so we are ready for some surprises. 

2. The assassination plot seemed to play a common thread in a few routes. It also proceeded without notice for the majority of the routes it was in until the heroine and capture target start finding evidence. We both felt that the assassination plot will still be present, but how severe it becomes will be unknown. In my opinion, Lady Angelica is the deciding factor. In Prince Levi and Sir Grey's route, she was directly or indirectly implied to have helped. But in the other routes, she didn't seem involved and there wasn't any mention of the assassination attempt. My theory is that her help moves the plot along, and her inaction causes it to be squashed. 

3. Maria's choice may not be a choice. Gameplay for otome games depends heavily on player choice. Which stats do you level? What affinity do you pick? Which location do you visit to trigger events with certain characters? But real life doesn't have the same freedoms a game does. We both doubt Maria will have absolute choice on her magical affinity. No one does. And there is no real-life meter of game stats. Someone like Lord Simon requires a high romance stat or Sir Grey who requires tactical stats. We will have no what of knowing if we are hitting those benchmarks. And we might not even be able to. Even if I play Combat Wizards day and night, would I actually have the tactical prowess to impress Sir Grey? 

It is nerve-racking. But as it is too soon to tell, all we can do is focus on our first day.  

Maria and I both got ready and wore our new school uniforms. Despite the dresses that I wore at home being so big and fluffy, the school uniforms were far more practical. First-year students' uniforms are black and white, indicating no particular magical affinity or discipline. The second-year students however have a rainbow of colors. For example, the fire students have red and white uniforms. If you are fire combat, the uniform is dark red and if you are fire spell casting, then the uniform is a softer red (almost looks pink to me, but don't say that to any of the fire kids). Maria and I are both wearing a white blouse with the school insignia embroidered on the left. Ladies wore a black ribbon tied at the collar while the boys wore ties. Our uniforms had black circle skirts that stop at mid-shin where our boots met. Later in the year when it gets colder, we have a sweater to wear over the blouse. I'm a little upset the women don't get suit jackets whereas the boys do. Our version of the uniform looks so plain. That jacket really does make it real snazzy. 

After eating a quick breakfast in our room courtesy of Lindsay and Julie - Julie is Maria's maid - we made our way to the school's auditorium. 

"This is where the game starts!" Maria said in a low tremble. Was it excitement or fear? Maybe it was both. 

"Right. The tutorial." I look at her. "What is the tutorial again?" 

"The headmaster explains the history and disciplines of the school. Then at towards the end he talks about the first years finding their affinity and how to test for it. All the first years will be tested throughout the year, and some may not find their affinities right away." 

"Oh, that's right! I remember in the game this is when you select your affinity." 

"Yeah. I'm pretty nervous about that."

"Because you don't know if you will be able to choose." 

"Not only that," she adds, "but when I am randomly chosen, the headmaster assumed it wouldn't come up with anything. It's supposed to assure the first years that it might take a while. But in the game, the heroine lights up right away and everyone acts shocked. The teachers will give her special treatment and that's part of the reason Lady Angelica targets the heroine." 

"Ooooooooh," I say as we take our seats. I hadn't thought about it from a practical standpoint. Picking the magical affinity was just a prompt on the screen. To be honest, I never paid that much attention to reactions after doing so. Yes, I'm special. Yes, I'm the heroine. Let's move on. But Maria is about to live that moment. 

"You got this," I say reassuring her. "Afterall, I'm your best friend!" 

She looks at me with a giant smile on her face. I'm glad I can say that and mean it. I hadn't actually thought about whether I would even like the heroine. But since she also has been reincarnated, it really wasn't hard to have an instant bond. That's right. My job is to support the heroine! I'll make sure these real-life capture targets aren't shitty men (like that Professor!) and help make sure she gets a happy ending!