Chapter 2 Part 4: The Game Begins

"Eat fireballs!" 

"While a valiant effort, your final act of desperation will not save you from defeat," Sir Grey says calmly. 

I'm very annoyed! After I got over my initial panic of suddenly playing Combat Wizards with the man himself, I had already made several critical errors that swung the game considerably in his favor. He was right, I was desperate. Desperately in love. I cringe at my inner thoughts. Even my own jokes are not saving me from humiliation. 

Sir Grey was incredibly good looking. Since he was a couple of years older than the students here, he didn't have that baby face college freshman look about him that I saw with Duke Playboy. I really wanted to stare at him more, but the game was requiring too much of my focus. 

After playing my hand, I let out an audible sigh. We both knew he would defeat me with his turn, so it was just a matter of watching the hand play out. 

"Strangle thorn is active this turn and with that, I take your last wizard." 

"I graciously die, "I chuckle slightly as I lean back in my chair. 

"If this was a real battle I would consider taking you hostage. Skilled enemies can often become valuable turncoats." 

Laughing slightly I say, "You would have me become a spy?" 

"It would be a generous offer." 

"Luckily I have no pride to wound, so I'm happy to be your 007." 

"007?" 

"Eh..." Crap, I forgot to act like a noble lady. "007 was a spy in a.... uh... novel that I read a long time ago. That was his code name." 

"Interesting." The conversation falls flat as Sir Grey has nothing left to add. 

I remember the game being like this too. The initial interactions with Sir Grey were a struggle to get through since he wouldn't talk much past what was required. Part of me really wants to ask about his sister to see what kind of reaction I would get. But I remind myself that Maria has yet to make her choice and I do want to shake up the story too much until she settles in. But, ho ho, Sir Grey, if Maria doesn't choose you, I'm going to swoop in for the kill! 

Since I know this is the natural end of this particular conversation, it's best I flex my mental maturity and wrap things up. 

"Thank you, Sir Grey for the game. Perhaps with some practice, I might be able to attain a level in which you may find a rematch challenging," I say as I rise from the chair. 

Sir Grey stands as well and gives me a bow. "It would be my pleasure to entertain a rematch and I look forward to seeing your progress." 

"Peaceful blessings to you, sir." I use the Voltare Kingdom's greeting that was drilled into my etiquette training. As I turn to leave I suddenly remember. I still don't know where I am. But I don't want to pester Sir Grey anymore so I start walking like I know where I am going. 

Game knowledge is not helping with actually getting around. The game didn't have an actual map. The map screen was just a bunch of icons that you would highlight and fast travel too. Why didn't we get a map? We should have gotten a map. 

My stomach started growling towards the end of our game reminding me I had only a light breakfast several hours ago. I make food my next priority. I know the academy has a dining hall since that was one of the fast travel locations that some events would take place. I miss my cell phone. I wish I could text Maria to meet me for lunch. In any case, I am done wandering around aimlessly, so I need to ask someone for directions. Looking around as the people around me I quickly rule out asking any other first-year student. They have more of a chance to not know the campus as well either. I scan the area for any 2nd-year students.