Chapter 1

•••

•••

The high pitch sound of the alarm erupted in Evita's room. She abruptly opened her eyes and groaned as she switched off the alarm. It was Monday. The start of the week. Maybe the worse day of the week. She really didn't want to go to school but she had no choices. After spending some extra minutes in her bed - and almost falling asleep again - she heavily sighed and stood up. After preparing herself - which consisted of brushing her teeth and dressing up - Evie took her bag and walked down the stairs. She was wearing a tank top underneath a black leather jacket with jeans and boots. Her long black wavy hair was let loose. In the ground floor, Evie briefly greeted her sister and mother, took a muffin that was on the kitchen bar and exited the house. It was always like that. There weren't much talking in the house between Evie and her family. She got used to it. Outside, the middle child of the Clearwater family put on her helmet and climbed her motorcycle. And with that, she drove off to school. She learned to ride a motorbike a year ago with Jacob. Before that, she started ignoring her of course. Bella, their childhood friends, brought him motorbike to restore. Apparently she wanted to learn how to ride one. But after an accident, she never used a motorbike again. Evie thought that it would be a waste since Jacob restored them so well. So she learned to ride a motorbike and since then, it was her only means of transport. When she arrived at La Push High, she parked her motorbike and took off her helmet. At the other side of the car park, Evie could see Embry, Quil, Jacob, Jared and Paul walking towards the school entrance. They all used to go to school together before. But now, it seemed to be a far memory.

~~

"Columbia University, New York..." Evie muttered as her eyes scanned the entire home page of the school web site. She was at the school library. It was her free period so she decided to look for universities that she could apply after high school. She wanted to do searches about that early so she wouldn't be caught by time. Evie never thought of leaving La Push or even Washington before. But recently, she thought about it a lot. Laws was something she was interested in. If she could have a career in it, it would be great. But there was no law school near La Push. She always joked with her father saying that she would go to one of the best university in the country. Now she really wanted to do it.

"Law school?" someone asked, surprising Evie who nearly had a heart attack. The Clearwater turned around to be face to face with Kim, her best friend. "I thought you wanted to be a reporter."

"I did, but I changed my mind," Evie turned to the computer screen again.

"You don't mind living on the other side of the country? I mean, you never left La Push before."

"I promised my father I'll go to the best school. Besides, I need to be away from home. And this is a good opportunity." Evie didn't felt at home in the Clearwater house. Which is weird considering the fact that she as raised there and always lived there. But now she felt like a stranger. She had no one besides her best friend. Everything reminded her of her pain and for her own good and sanity, for her own health, she needed to leave.