Chapter Forty-Two

Song: Risky – Davido ft. Popcaan (Word didn't AutoSave this chapter so I lost it, but thanks to my awesome IT skills, I managed to get it back. If I didn't, I don't think I would've continued the book)

*Unedited* (Dedicated to Skai9876)

"If you even think about falling asleep, I will shove you out the window." Kofi warned, his finger sitting on my nose.

"You're weird, and it hurts to breathe. I want to fall asleep," I retorted.

He glared at me. "Have you seen yourself? At least wait until the doctor checks up on you, then you can fall asleep."

"You're strange," I repeated, "you should take this opportunity to kill me now. Think about it. The chief is dead, and to anyone else's knowledge, you were never here. Say something like we killed each other. Two birds, one stone."

He sighed, rubbing his forehead exasperatedly. "Has it even crossed your mind that I have no interest in killing you? Every excuse I've ever told you, forget those. I haven't killed you because I have no interest in killing you."

"Why not?"

"You must think of me as some ruthless person who kills every single person that annoys him, don't you?"

I looked up at him. "Yes?"

He rolled his eyes. "No. That's stupid. Stop watching so many movies and reading idiotic books. Taking a life is not that easy."

"You literally just take a gun and shoot. BAM!" I laughed.

I don't know what I said that made his eyes soften as quickly as they did. I was even more surprised when he said, "You must be in so much pain. Your brain has even been affected. Sorry for wasting time, I'll get the doctor now."

I just frowned and watched him as he left. There was something seriously wrong with that man. How can you be planning to kill someone a few minutes prior then suddenly start caring about them later?

Or maybe I was the delusional one and he didn't care. Perhaps this was all part of a secret agenda.

It could be a ploy by him and the chief to do something to me. I mean, what are the odds that the chief had a heart attack exactly when he was about to paralyse and rape me?

My gaze strayed to the chief. His eyes were still open in a frightened and fearful way. He must have seen the devil before he died.

Or he didn't die, and he and Kofi were planning something against me. I tried to sit up, but my ribs made a scary sound and pain shot through me like a liquid fire. The cry of pain escaped me before I could stop it as I clutched my torso like my arm could do anything to quell the pain.

I stayed there, breathing hard and clenching my teeth, waiting for the pain to subside. When it did, I grabbed a pillow and threw it at him.

He didn't move, but if he and Kofi were pretending as if he was dead, he wouldn't react to a pillow. I turned to my side, seeing a lava lamp on the bedside table.

Holding my ribs, I crawled a little bit to the edge of the bed and grabbed it, then threw it at him. The lamp bonked him on the head, then fell behind him uselessly. He didn't budge.

Just then Kofi came in the room with Doctor Obeng, the doctor that had found the Liquid X in my system.

When his eyes fell on the chief, his mouth dropped open in shock, while Kofi looked at me like I was demented.

"Did he come back to life or what?" Kofi asked, dropping to check the chief's pulse.

The doctor was obviously shaken. "Is he dead?" He asked, looking at the chief's body.