Chapter Twelve

Aravena

Aravena

I gulped a dry lump before shutting the dark wooden door behind me with a soft thud.

Mother was standing beside the fireplace. Rigid and motionless as she watched the fire slowly engulfing those dark woods. So merciless while devouring the already burnt bark.

I cleared my throat.

Mother didn't lift a lash in my direction. Her stormy gray eyes were fixed on the woods.

"You summoned, Mother?" I spoke with confidence that I didn't feel.

"Queen, Aravena." She finally looked at me.

The bright orange light of fire illuminated her orbs. Coppery curls were pulled up in a tight braided bun. Her lips were pressed in a thin line. Delicate, soft hands were curled into a tight fist. Dark veins protruded from her slim naked neck.

I took a deep breath.

"Mother, liste-"

"I do not prefer to repeat myself, Aravena. Not for your deaf ears."

Something sparked inside me at her icy cold voice, making me look straight into her fiery eyes.

"Is there any specific disobedience you would like to mention, Queen?"

She walked towards me in response.

Black jewels in her body crinkled, gold glitter-embroidered green gown rustled as she moved.

Soft clicks of her heels, hidden beneath that fluffy gown, echoed in the silent study room.

The afternoon sun cast a brighter yellow light from the big window on her left, rivaling the orange hue of the fireplace.

She looked ethereal.

Almost like a goddess waiting to unleash her wrath.

I had to force my pump-clad feet to stay put on the floor and not step back.