16 | only the truth

" War is a sinkhole that sucks money and men into it and is never filled

" War is a sinkhole that sucks money and men into it and is never filled."

- Margaret George

✰✰✰

" Okay, everybody, get in the boats, right now!" Jones called out to the group as Catherine jumped or more like slid right into the boat, collapsing on her side, letting out an anguished groan, as Webster jumped in right next to her followed by Chuck. Their boat began moving as they heard Vest and Johnny shouting.

Catherine could barely hear over the explosions and gunfire that continued to ring out from both sides. It was deafening. An house blew up behind them as they set off from the German side and waves lapped as an explosion landed in the river. There was gunfire and cursing and yelling and explosions. It was overwhelming. Catherine moved towards the front of the boat and began pulling with all her might to get the lead started and to get away from the German side of the embankment where chaos laid and ensued.

Catherine felt icy water splash up on her as the group continued to pull their boat across the water, explosions rocking either side of them causing the boat to ripple at the waves the explosions created. Catherine felt a bit of relief hit her as she saw Perconte appear and grab the rope to pull people in.

" Where's the medic!" someone yelled. In all the chaos of people jumping out of the boats or pulling people from them, Catherine found herself staggering and plunged into the icy water.

It sweltered her lungs and caused her arms to flail in a panic as she pushed to air. She came coughing and sputtering and freezing from the cold night air and below freezing temperatures of water. She was hacking and it burned her throat and she couldn't see or feel anything. She was numb. She felt arms grab her and barely registered it as Captain Speirs pulling her up the embankment, as she coughed over and over to get the ice water of the river from her lungs.

Catherine was drenched in the icy water and shivering as she stumbled out of Speirs grasp and crawled forward, before pushing herself to her feet to get inside the basement again where a majority of the group had run to.

" We got wounded, come on!" Johnny yelled as Catherine felt her ODs turn stiff in the cold she was exposed to and freeze to her body. She was shivering violently.

" Popeye, get the Krauts back there and shake 'em down." Johnny called as Catherine felt her legs becoming numb under her body suddenly.

" McClung! McClung! Get onto the company CP, let 'em know what we got." Johnny called to the man.

" Webster, stay with him." Johnny called to Webster.

" Hey, Shifty, watch Vest." Johnny called to the sharpshooter who stood watching the Germans and gave a firm nod. That's when Lieutenant Jones entered as chaos slowly ensued.