17 | sick of war

" She was just another girl, playing hopscotch with the stars

" She was just another girl, playing hopscotch with the stars."

- Atticus

✰✰✰

Jones eventually got up and began checking on everyone else again as Hazel stared at her hands. She looked towards where Catherine was, sitting against the wall of the basement eyes staring forward blankly, tear streaks on her face, as the flame seemed to dance to a tune of the cold in her eyes.

Then Catherine stood and slowly left the basement.

Hazel turned and watched her leave, but didn't move. Hazel couldn't. Catherine stepped outside and then looked to her right. Webster was sitting above the basement, up against the wall, helmet on, staring forward, as there was a show of the sky beginning to change colors, or at least turning from black to purples and blues.

The sun was rising.

Catherine bit her lip but then slowly walked over towards Webster. Webster looked up towards the woman as she stopped by his side. Catherine felt horrible for the way she had treated Webster, she felt terrible about it all. Webster slowly shifted over a bit on the cold ground. Catherine slowly sat down beside him, and stared forward towards the bombed out buildings and icy patches covered with mud and the slowly changing sky.

" I'm sorry." Catherine whispered, her voice like a ray of light to Webster's ears. Webster glanced toward her. Her eyes were filled with tears as she looked up at him under the brim of her helmet.

" You don't have to apologize for anything." Webster told her, as she sniffled, and let her eyes close, as a tear trailed down her cheek.

" I shouldn't have said that to you though, I shouldn't have taken it out on you." Catherine whispered, as her voice cracked. Catherine cursed herself; she was a mess and had been ever since D-Day and she blamed this war, this stupid war. Webster looked at her.

" I'm just tired of this stupid fucking war." Catherine whispered, as she shook her head.

" I'm tired too." Webster said quietly. Catherine looked towards him. She felt sorry for herself for saying what she did to Webster, he was at the hospital, he didn't go AWOL, who cares? He's fine now and that's all that matters, it's one less life lost.

" Why'd you join up?" Webster asked her. Catherine looked towards him and bit her lip.

" I knew I could fight, at least in the SPARs. That was before they sent out information on joining up with the men. I knew I could though. Especially with the paratroopers." Catherine said softly. Webster smiled.

" They're lucky to have you." Webster said. Catherine smiled slightly, as she brushed away a tear from her cheek.

" I guess I was angry because I've seen what a war can do to a person," Catherine said, " how it just takes and takes and takes until all that's left is a body of bones." Webster met her eye.