25 | cruel world

NOTES: viewer discretion is advised, heavy topics - this is based on actor portayal and my own portrayal of what i feel could've happen, thank you :) no gif, for seriousness of topic

" It takes courage to stay delicate in a world this cruel."

- Beau Taplin

✰✰✰

Eventually Joe and Hazel were able to pull themselves down and off of the truck. Hazel's feet hit the soil and she took slow trembling steps forward as her knees felt weak at the center. Joe gently wrapped his arm around her shoulders and they began walking away from the camp with heavy hearts. Hazel couldn't even look back.

" Hey, Joe, Hazel," a voice called and they looked up to see Catherine coming towards them with canteens in her hands, a worried expression on her face once she noticed the tears in both of their eyes. Catherine felt her jaw go slack a bit.

" Winters' sent us back." Hazel managed out, as her voice cracked at the end. Catherine looked from Hazel to Joe and Joe nodded.

" I'm sorry, guys." she whispered sadly. She knew Joe was Jewish, he was proud of it. And she knew Hazel was Polish, where a majority of these people in the camp were from. Catherine then stepped away and began heading back inside the camp with an equally heavy heart.

Joe and Hazel remained in silence all the way back to where 2nd platoon had been placed to sleep that night. Joe's hands were gripping onto Hazel tightly and Hazel kept glancing weary glances up towards him. Once they entered the room, Joe clenched onto Hazel's arm tighter.

" I think I'm going to be sick," Joe managed out, before stumbling out past Hazel, towards the bathroom and collapsing by the toilet. Hazel shut her eyes as she heard Joe get sick, his cries mixing with his getting sick.

Hazel immediately hurried forward into the bathroom and slowly sat by his side, as he got sick, rubbing his back softly, her arm drawing up and down the OD top, as she reached forward to brush back the hair that lay gently curled along his forehead.

When Joe finished, he shut his eyes, a quiet sigh escaping his mouth. Hazel turned and grabbed the wash cloth on the sink counter and retracted it before gently bringing it to his mouth. Joe felt a cloth there, a bit of fabric, and a gentle touch.

Joe flinched before looking at her. His eyes were filled with grief, and Hazel's heart ached for him. This truly hurt him more than anything.

Hazel gently wiped at his mouth with the wash cloth, before pulling back her hand, keeping her other hand on the side of his tear streaked face. It broke her heart to see Joe this way, but he had every right to be this way. He was shaking, from what Hazel could tell, and cold sweat had formed along the line against the his forehead. Hazel quickly grabbed the second wash cloth and brushed back his hair to wipe the cloth along his forehead as Joe watched her, his body shaking.

It hurt Hazel to see Joe the way he was, it did.

Hazel loved him.

She loved him, even in his darkest moments.

It hurt.

Joe watched her, his eyes having a few fresh tears in them.

" Hazel..." he whispered, his voice breaking at the last letter as he spoke, " I..." He shook his head.

" Hey," she whispered, gently cupping his face," you don't have to explain one thing okay, you don't have to force yourself to speak okay? You can just sit here okay, I'll sit with you," Joe watched her, his eyes crestfallen and so sullen and so ungodly sad. He nodded.