Ch.3: Rising Problems

1 week later...

I drummed my fingers on the table as I stared at Barb, who was busy sleeping with her feet kicked up on the other end of the table in our designated meeting room.

I raised my gavel and brought it down onto the block as hard as I could. Barb snapped her head up, startled by the sudden noise, and fell out of her chair.

"Attention everyone!" I announced. "This emergency meeting of the council of harmony is now in...session..."

I took a quick glance around the room. I hardly noticed there were so many empty chairs around the table until now. Other than Titus and myself, there were only two other trolls in the room.

"Where is everyone?" I asked to no one in particular. Titus looked at my clipboard and sighed.

"Well, Quincy, Essence, and Trollzart are still missing...along with..." His voice trailed off as he sucked air in through his teeth. I sighed.

"Along with Delta Dawn..." I mumbled.

We received word earlier this morning about Delta's disappearance. Apparently, someone spotted her going out for a midnight stroll last night, which was something she did every now and then.

Except she never came back...

I put my head in my hands and groaned. My headaches were getting worse as each day passed. I've gotten to the point where I no longer knew what was causing them.

I was stressed, paranoid, and very tired...my nightmares have been becoming more vivid each night as well. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and found it difficult to fall back asleep. Sometimes, I would wake up Titus so that he could comfort me, but other times, I just let him sleep.

I was lacking so much sleep at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I looked liked a zombie that needed to be put out of its misery...

"Poppy and Branch are still coming, right?" I asked Titus.

He nodded. "Yeah, they should be on their way right now."

I took a deep breath and sighed. That state of calm lasted for about two seconds before I noticed the chair that my son normally sat in was now empty.

"Wait...where's Trollex?!" I shrieked. "He was just here a second ago!"

"Calm down, my dear," Titus reassured me. He took my hand in his and gave it a light squeeze. "He's just-"

"I'm right here, mom." The door to the meeting room opened and closed as Trollex hovered over to his chair and sat down. He then proceeded to open up a bag of pretzels that he had brought with him and shoved a small handful of them into his mouth.

"Where have you been?!" I asked. A hint of concern could be heard when I spoke.

"I was hungry, so I went to the kitchen and got a snack. I told you this..." He raised his brow at me. "Were you not listening?"

I didn't remember him telling me that. "I guess not...I'm sorry sweetie..." I replied. "Just...don't scare me like that again! You nearly gave your poor mother a heart attack..."