Chapter six

"Nik" Evelyn cried, clutching her stomach where her child should be. They all laid out on the floor, Mikael had run them all through with a sword. "Our baby" Niklaus immediately rushed over to his wife, his hands going to her belly.

"What have you done?" Niklaus growled at his father, their child was immobile.

"What needed to be done, boy, it was for your own protection." He stepped forward, a girl from their village in his arms. He cut her arm with his blade, grabbing the back of Rebekah's head and forcing it close to the open wound. "Drink!" he demanded, fearing what her father might do, Rebekah drank, but soon needed no command to keep drinking.

Mikael continued this cycle until all his children drank the blood, by the time Finn was finished, the poor girl was dead.

The Mikaelsons were far from done, so they ventured out into the village, Niklaus and Evelyn were grief driven, their rage and hunger combined made them truly monstrous.

The carnage wrought by the newly turned vampires was a sight none would ever forget.

"What is this?" Klaus stormed into the kitchen, a familiar bottle was clutched in his hand, Hayley and I shared a glance, the pregnant werewolf looking more fearful.

Hayley silently began to eat her breakfast again after I gave her a nod, signaling I would handle it.

"What do you think it is?" I asked tilting my head.

"No, I want the answer from her" he pointed at Hayley. "What is wolfsbane doing in this house?" He demanded.

I stepped into Klaus' line of vision, blocking the young werewolf from view. "I believe it was in my room Niklaus" He looked at me angrily.

"I would believe that, except I know you, you wouldn't harm a child, and there isn't enough in this bottle to harm an adult werewolf" He tried to step around me, but all I did was put my hands on his chest, and push him back.

"No!" Klaus moved to step around me again, but I wouldn't have it. "Absolutely not"

I glanced back at the werewolf who seemed to get the message. She stood, running out of the room before Klaus could overpower me.

"She was trying to kill my child" he growled, looking like he was seconds away from ripping her apart.

"And she didn't use it, we had a conversation last night Nik, this could be our second chance" I clutched onto his henley, watching as his expression softened.

He reached forward, his hands grabbing my hips and pulling me closer, his entire demeanor shifting. He leaned forward, resting his forehead against mine.

"We can finally raise a child" I whispered, closing my eyes and cherishing the moment. Slowly but surely our broken bond was healing.

This baby would heal our marriage, all we had to do is keep it safe until it can be born.

"I've missed this" he spoke, his grip shifting from my hips to my waist, and then burying his head in my neck.

"Me too" I sighed, resting my head on his shoulder and hugging him tighter. I pulled back slightly, cupping his face. "I heard you broke your curse" I smiled, he finally unlocked that part of him.

"There is something else" he glanced down, a sad look it his eye. "Finn and Kol, they were killed by those who reside in Mystic Falls" the name of our birthplace brought back bitter sweet memories.

I leaned forward, hugging him tightly once again. He loved them, regardless of the fact that sometimes they hated him, he still made it his mission to protect.

"KLAUS!" A voice yelled from outside, attracting our attention.

I pulled from his grip, lacing our fingers together and tugging him to the front door. Marcel stood just outside the door, seething.

"I've come to negotiate our terms" he gritted out, obviously this was something he didn't want to do.

I let go of Klaus' hand, and smiled at our adoptive son, reaching forward I pulled him into a hug, but I felt the daggers being exchanged by the two men over my shoulder.

"Marcel, won't you take a walk with us? It's such a beautiful day, it would be dreary to stay inside" I suggested as I pulled away, praying he wouldn't find out about Hayley who was just upstairs.

Throwing a look over my shoulder at my husband, I took my son's offered arm, a trait he'd learned from our family, and Klaus followed, scowling at being the third wheel.

We found a wooden bench not far from our house, I sat next to our son, Klaus decided to stay standing.

"What is there to negotiate Marcellus?" Nik started pacing in front of the bench. "I made the terms very clear, hand over the reins to the city, and we avoid war"

"That's just it Klaus, you ran from the city, I built it up, I stayed, what makes you think you can just waltz in here like nothing ever happened?" Marcel demanded, I put a calming hand on his arm.

"Boys, must we bicker like children?" I looked between the two, raising an eyebrow "Marcel I understand that you feel you deserve the city, you made it what it is today, and it's true he did run away, but you are also well aware of the circumstances surrounding that" he looked down ashamed. I turned my head to Nik. "And you, sure we were here first, but you have no right to just swoop in and take the city, I know your aspirations, but you will not get it in this way, not by threatening the very man we raised" I ranted, satisfied to see both men looking like they were school children, scolded by their mother.

"Now New Orleans deserves a leader who cares for the city" I saw Marcel give Klaus a smug look "but it also deserves a leader who doesn't shackle it's resident witches in fear, they can't even practice without your say so, which is wrong" my words wiped his smug look off. "You know I'm right, so end this silly fight, and maybe work together, compromise, because if I have to step in, I'll drag you both through the quarter by your ear" I threatened, standing up and brushing the imaginary dirt off my jeans. "Play nice boys" I warned, walking back to the house.