Chapter twenty-one

Nik laid in his room at the compound, none of us daring to remove the blade from his chest, for fear of his anger.

I sat at the table in the dinning room, a mug filled with blood, Marcel hasn't left my side since Davina, a bottle of bourbon clutched in his hands.

Elijah entered, drawing both our attention. "The wolves in the bayou have become more anxious, they demand to know where Hayley is" he sighed, tugging his suit coat off and laying it on top of a chair.

"I'll deal with the wolves" I got up, Marcel standing with me.

My brother in-law shook his head. "No, it's too dangerous, the witches are still out for blood and are more powerful" he protested.

"I can't stay here Elijah, not with Nik the way he is, it breaks my heart" I paused, taking a deep breath. "Besides, Marcel will be with me, and I'm sure he would be all to glad to take down a few witches should they try to cross us"

Marcel nodded out of the corner of my eye, he hadn't been able to stop the witches from taking Davina, and was angry at them.

...

The bayou was hot as we trudged through the greenery. "It isn't enough we have to deal with one original vampire, but you bring him" a southern accent came out of nowhere, the wolves gathering around us.

The blonde, Oliver, stood next to the brunette that had spoken, he was the obvious leader of the pack.

"You must be Jackson" I greeted, feeling Marcel take a step closer to me. "I know your people aren't exactly on good terms with my son, but he needs his mother's comfort, and I still had to come out here" I saw some of the wolves shift wearily.

"Good terms? He had a witch curse us" Oliver stated angrily, Jackson's arm shot out, stopping the man from coming after us.

"Elijah told me you were getting anxious to see Hayley, rest assured she's safe, I do warn you however, not to start causing trouble" I held my hands in my pockets, looking to be completely at ease.

"Is that a threat?" Someone from the crowd asked angrily.

Shaking my head, I smiled "no darling, it's a promise, be good little wolves and I won't have to come back here, if I do, you won't be seeing the light of day" moving to leave, I noticed the two of us were surrounded.

"Except you're not leaving the bayou" Jackson stepped forward. "We now have leverage over the original family, see we know all about you, you're the kind original"

Marcel vamped out, threatening anyone who stepped near us, I put a hand on his shoulder, hoping to calm his protective nature. Turning to the alpha, I only grinned. "You are adorable" the pack looked to me in confusion. "Just because I'm the 'nice original' does not mean I tolerate disrespect, nor being used as a hostage"

In the blink of an eye, I held Jackson by the throat, standing in the middle of the circle, too far away from any of the wolves to make a move without my notice.

"I can kill your precious leader right here and now" the group stood still, obviously not wanting to aggravate me further. "I've been alive a long time, meaning I'm stronger and faster than the lot of you" I glanced around at the pack. "I've massacred cities without much thought and slept soundly in my bed after, I could slaughter all of you and not break a sweat, take care in how you speak to me, I'm not one to be trifled with, Hayley and the baby will stay with us until further notice"

Letting a struggling Jackson breathe, I threw him to the floor, and watched as the wolves parted so I could be let through, Marcel trailing behind me, and shooting glares at them as we passed.

I unlocked my car, my son waiting for me to get in. The car started, cold air blowing through the air conditioner. "I forgot how scary you were" Marcel muttered, watching as I drove out of the sticky bayou and into the French Quarter.

"I'm underestimated" I shrugged "it isn't my fault people assume they know me from the little rumors they hear" pulling in to the compound, I had to step over chunks of furniture, putting a hand up, I stopped Marcel from continuing.

The compound was in complete disarray, I listened but heard nothing, cautiously, I sped up to Nik's room to find his bed empty, an unconscious Elijah on the floor.

"Eve" Marcel called, I ran to the balcony overlooking the courtyard, my son stood with his hands up, while Nik had the blade that was buried in his chest, still bloody, pointed at the man we raised.

"Nik" I said, speeding down and stepping in front of our more vulnerable child, my hands raised as well. "You don't have to do this" I pleaded.

My husband's head tilted, a dangerously calm look on his face "don't I? How long were you going to keep this in my chest? This was your plan all along wasn't it? How foolish I was to believe we could be together."

tears threatened to surface at his harsh words. "I never plotted against you Nik!" I cried. "I never pretended, the relationship we were mending was genuine"

An angry tear slid down Nik's face. "How am I to believe that?" He demanded. "How am I to believe anything you say?"

"Then stab me" I walked forward. "Prove that you're every bit as cruel as they say you are. Condemn me for a lie a witch whispered in your ear" I grabbed his wrist pointing the blade at my heart. "Because I can't live in fear of the man I love, so either stab me or let the lie go"

A tense silence passed, and for a second I believed he would do it, his face completely torn with uncertainty.

"I love you Nikki, I always have and I always will, but the way our marriage has been going is wrong, be the man I fell in love with, the one who was my best friend" I pleaded.

Nik stared at me, looking into my eyes. "That man was weak" he retorted. "His father beat him mercilessly, and he never made a move to stop it. I am Klaus Mikaelson, I'm not weak" he told me sternly.

I carefully moved the blade, Nik allowing me to step into his space, and placed a hand on his cheek.

"You were never weak Nik" I whispered. "You always found a way to look at the world with bright eyes, and you made mine that much better, and to me that makes you the strongest person I have ever met"

Nik fell to his knees, the blade clattering as it dropped to the floor, and he hugged me around my middle, burying his face in my stomach.

Carefully, I knelt down, picking his head up and smiling at him. There he was, my artist. "How can you forgive me for the things I've done?" He muttered, searching my eyes.

I rested my forehead against his, closing my eyes as I did so. "Because I love you Nikki" I responded "you were my light in the dark, you are my world"

"I love you" Nik kisses me softly, like he did the first time, and it still felt the same, electricity shooting through my veins.