Chapter 3

The reason why I didn't see him the moment I entered the library's door was unclear to me. Maybe because I was too busy admiring the library itself or maybe because his whole self camouflaged in the walls.

I had no idea.

"S-sir." I stood up and bowed. "I-Im sorry. I didn't know you were here."

My eyes were on the floor, avoiding his gaze. My heart was pounding so loud I could almost hear it. My knees started shaking and my fingers were cold. I was nervous. So nervous.

"Are you going to clean here?" he asked. His voice was sweet and soft, almost feminine.

"Yes, S-sir." I nodded. "But I'm going to leave now. I-I will just come back later if---"

"No, It's okay," he said, walking to one of the chairs. He sat there, crossed his legs and opened the golden book that he was holding. "You can clean while I read. Just do it silently."

I didn't know how I managed to clean the library that day in the presence of my famous boss. I was literally shaking but I really tried to act as normal as I could. I started by picking up the books that were on the floor then I proceeded on filing them properly on the shelves. He continued on reading the big golden book as I clean.

"I'm sorry for the mess."

I was dusting off a thick brown book when I heard him speak again.

I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat. "It's okay, Sir."

So he was the one who did all this mess?

After I finished arranging the books in the first shelf, I proceeded to the next. I was being cautious when carrying the books, not wanting to drop them. I wanna do it as silently as I could, just like what he told me. I couldn't focus. The fact that I was arranging the books here and Michael Jackson was sitting there right behind me was more than enough to keep me out of focus.

"You're the new maid, aren't you?" he asked, his tone uninterested.

The whole place was big yet it seemed so small for me that I was having trouble catching my own breath.

I nodded. "Y-yes, Sir."

"What's your name again?"

I took a deep breath in an attempt to get rid of the nervousness. "It's Jane, Sir."

I realized that we were now actually having a conversation. Miss Joan told me that I wasn't allowed to talk to the boss. But he was the one who started asking, right?

After arranging the books, I replaced the flowers in the vases with fresh ones and I sprayed some air freshener around. After about one and a half hour of cleaning, I was finally done. I was arranging the cleaning materials in the basket and I was preparing to leave but the boss was still there, reading the big golden book.

Should I tell him that I was done? Or should I go without disturbing him?

I decided to do the former.

"Uh, Sir." I cleared my throat. "I-I'm done. I will go now, Sir."

He didn't speak. He didn't even look at me. Maybe he didn't hear me?

"Sir, I'm done," I repeated, louder this time.

"You can go," he said, his eyes still on the book. "Close the door when you leave."

And that's how my first day of cleaning the library went like.

Cold sweat covered my face and neck when I left the library. My heart was still beating fast and I had to breath deeply in order to calm my shaking hands.