Chapter 5

After the laugh that we shared that day, cleaning the library has become an exciting thing for me. For the first time since I started cleaning there, I wasn't nervous. For the first time, I felt real excitement and comfort.

And for the first time, I was looking forward to see him at the library everyday.

Just like before, he was already there when I came there again. This time, he was reading a magazine. He was wearing a simple white v-neck shirt, a mess of dark curly hair draped over his broad shoulders. He kinda looked different to me for a moment because he wasn't wearing any Fedora. This was actually the first time that I'd seen him without a Fedora. So yeah, wow. He looked.. good.

Incredibly good.

"Good morning, Sir."

He looked up at me and smiled. "Good morning."

Before, he would just nod everytime I'd greet him. But not now. Today, it was different because he gave me more than a nod. He actually greeted me back with a smile, which was the first time.

An improvement?

I smiled back at him then he went back to reading as I started cleaning. The library wasn't that messy today so I didn't have a hard time. Dana told me earlier that I have to clean the books on the top shelves so I was now standing up on a chair to be able to reach the books in the higher shelves. I was dusting the books one by one with my feather duster.

The atmosphere between us was silent. He was focused on reading the magazine like I wasn't even there. I kept myself focused on cleaning as well. Some of the books are too dirty that the dust hardened on the surface of the cover. I needed to use some damp cloth in order to remove the dirt. I'd become lost to cleaning that I even forgot that he was actually here with me. I was in serious mode as I clean but when I heard a soft, calming voice, everything seemed to change.

"So listen to my heart, lay your body close to mine..."

I stopped. I almost dropped the book that I was holding. Shivers ran down my spine and I felt every hair on my body stood up. Was he.. singing?

I slowly turned my head to his direction. He was singing, and humming in a soft and low voice. It wasn't that loud and it seemed that he was just doing it for himself as he was flipping through the magazine.

"Baby through the years, gonna love you more each day... hmm .. hmm hmm hmm.."

The song wasn't familiar to me but it was probably one of his songs. It was beautiful. His voice was angelic and hypnotizing at the same time. I only heard him singing on the radio but now, I couldn't believe it. His singing voice was way more angelic in person.

I was just staring at him while he sings but to my surprise, he suddenly looked up causing me to jerk and lose my balance. I almost stumbled on the floor, good thing I held on to the shelf.

His forehead creased. "Are you okay?"

I took a deep breath. "Uh, y-yes," I said, faking a laugh. Gosh, that was close. That would've been so embarassing.

"But you almost fell," he said.

"N-no, Sir," I said. "I did it on purpose. Y'know, just trying to see if the chair is stable." What the hell was I saying?

The boss nodded. "Okay. Be careful."

I nodded and smiled. I was about to turn back to the shelf to continue my work but my stupid foot over-stepped and the next thing I knew, the chair that I was standing on shook and moved. Alright, this is it, I knew that I was going to fall so I just closed my eyes and waited for my body to hit the floor. But that didn't happen.