PROLOGUE

The only things that could be heard were the chirping of the crickets and the gushing of the stream as the eleven year old girl walked through the meadow on the east side of the mountain. Her bare feet brushed the grass as she ran to the stream, the buckets in her hands clunking against each other. When each bucket had been filled, the little girl strung the buckets on a fallen tree branch, lifted them to rest on her shoulders and trudged back to her village. She lived in The Village In The Mountain, one of the only blacksmith villages known to craft Nichirin swords. This village was also known for it's fine jewelry and long line of Sun Breathers. The girl walked and walked until she arrived at... the flaming remnants of what was once a thriving village. HER village. She dropped her buckets and ran as she saw a fanged being emerging from the blazing wreckage. Thankfully, it did not notice her; it was preoccupied with devouring a burnt husk of what was once a living, breathing human.

The girl ran. She ran for days on end, stopping occasionally only for water. Finally, she stopped at a small cottage on the edge of a small village.

"Ah, I see you have Hanafuda earrings. Like me." Said a raggedy voice, likely male, from behind her. The young girl spun, pulling a kunai knife from her beat-up tunic.

"No need for that," the man smiled warmly "Would you like somewhere to stay tonight?"

Reluctantly, the girl nodded. The man chuckled.

"Excellent!" The man beckoned "Follow me."

He walked inside the house, the girl at his heels.

"Who do we have here?" Smiled his wife "My name is Kei Kamado and that's my husband, Tanjuro. This is Tanjiro, Nezuko, Takeo, Hanako, Shigeru and Rokuta. Would you tell us your name?"

The young girl shook her head, still clutching the kunai. Mrs. Kamado just sighed, still smiling.

"How about we get you cleaned up?" She asked. The girl nodded and followed the woman further into the house.

After some vigorous cleaning, the girl seemed to glow in a red and orange flame pattern kimono. Her black hair was pinned back in a bun with a jade and gold comb, the only the thing she was able to grab before she saw the demon.

"You look wonderful!" Mrs. Kamado smiled. The girl bowed to show her gratitude.

"My thanks." She said simply.

This surprised Mrs. Kamado, who replied warmly "It was nothing. Now come, you look famished."

After an amazing dinner, the Kamados insisted that the girl rest at their home. She hesitantly agreed, telling them she would be off the next day.

In the morning, the girl woke early. She shook Tanjiro awake. He sat up groggily, rubbing his face.

"Take this," she whispered, pressing a small metal item into Tanjiro's hand "As a token of my thanks."

She got up, smiling, and walked out the door. Into the woods, away from everything she left behind. Curious, he opened his hand to find... a silver lotus pendant on a leather cord. He grinned and fastened it around his neck.

"Till we meet again." Tanjiro called.

She turned to face the boy, smiling and waving at him. Then she disappeared back to the forest, running as fast as her legs would allow. Within 30 seconds, she was out of sight.

•=•=•=•=•[*]•=•=•=•=•
Heyo, Author-san here! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, more on the way 😉

Remember, vote if you liked it,I really appreciate it!