Pt. 3 | THE FIGHT

<|Roku POV|>

The demon struck first, aiming a punch at Tanjiro's exposed face. Kyojuro reacted fast, using the 2nd Flame Breathing form to cut the demon's arm cleanly in-half (long ways). The demon jumped away, his arm already healed.

"Nice katana." said the demon. Then he pointed at me  "That your girlfriend?"

"Uh, nope." I replied. Fortunately for me, I was able to keep the heat from rising to my cheeks. Rengoku coughed uncomfortably before quickly regaining composure.

"Now why would someone as powerful as you attack the wounded first?" asked Kyojuro

"I thought he might interrupt the conversation we were about to have," the demon smiled.

"What are we going to talk about? This is our first meeting, but I already hate you," Kyojuro replied.

"Sooo... y'all just gonna ignore me? Okay, that's cool..." I grumbled, apparently unnoticed.

"Of course. I also hate weak humans. When I see weakness, my skin crawls," the demon said.

"You and I have very different values," Rengoku answered

"Aha... then I have a great idea. Why don't you two become demons! You and your 'not girlfriend'!" grinned the demon

"Hmm, no thanks." answered Kyojuro

"I'm good." I said flatly, gripping the hilts of my swords.

"I can tell your strength just by looking at you. You've developed your fighting spirits to the edge of perfection." replied the demon

"I am the Flame Hashira, Kyojuro Rengoku," Kyojuro said.

"I am the Sun Hashira, Roku Tsugikuni," I added.

"I am Akaza."  the he informed us "Let me tell you, Kyojuro & Roku,  why your powers will never truly reach perfection. It's because you're human. Because you age. Because eventually, you'll die."

"Become a demon," Akaza continued "If you do, you can train for hundreds of year and keep getting stronger."

"Growing old and dying is what gives meaning and beauty to fleeting span of human life," Kyojuro told the demon "It's precisely because we live and die that our lives have value and nobility. Strength is not a word that means much in regards to the flesh. This boy is not weak. Do not insult him."

"The reason you would not understand this is because, when demons die, they are killed. Your deaths are always painful," I continued "Some humans are lucky enough to live in peace, even die peacefully as well. While, from what I have seen, demons live lives of constant killing and bloodshed..."

"... So I'll say it again: you and I have very different values," Rengoku finished.

"I see." Akaza said

Kyojuro and Akaza clashed, light and fire, muddled and bright against the black sky. As they fought, Kyojuro got more and more battered and Akaza stayed the same. When Akaza stuck his arm through Kyojuro's gut, I lost it. I rose, enraged. My body glowed, radiating heat so intense that the plants around me withered and died. My eyes were replaced with solid, glowing orbs of orangey-yellow light. After the traumatic experience in my childhood, I lost all the self-control I had when someone dared to harm the people I care about. I ran, unsheathing my dual katana. I forced my self between the two men. I pushed Kyojuro back.

<| SUN BREATHING | THIRD FORM: WHIRLING GLOW |>

My blades caught fire as I severed Akaza's hands from his body. Then I attempted to remove his head from his shoulders, but Akaza was fast. He jumped away before I could even touch him. I took me a while to figure out why, as I chased after him. My power causes the sun to come faster if It's night of for the sun to burn brighter if it's day. He was running from the sun. Knowing the fight would not continue, I rushed back to the train. The glow that surrounded my body faded. I fell to my knees when I reached Kyojuro's body; his condition was awful. I knew immediately that if I drew out this process, he would die.

<| SUN BREATHING | EIGHT FORM | SUN'S GIFT: RENEWING BREATH|>

My hands glowed once again, but unlike the Tuberculosis, these wounds would take a while. The technique would stay the broken bones and crushed arteries, but only for a few hours. Kyojuro passed out in my arms.

"INOSUKE! TANJIRO! ZENITSU!" I hollered, and they came running
"You must tell your birds to send a message to the Ubuyashiki manor. The message is: The Hashira Kyojuro Rengoku has fallen," I instructed them

"But that's lying!" Zenitsu cried

"Look, we don't have much time; I have to get Kyojuro to my home where I can heal him fully," I snapped, but my sudden anger dissipated as fast as it had come "The reason we must lie is that the other Hashira will not rest until Kyojuro is well. But with injuries like that, he will never fully heal. He can never be a Hashira again."

"So, to make sure the other Hashira keep their heads up, we must lie," Tanjiro concluded.

"Yes." I answered "Until we meet again, young Slayers. Good luck."

I picked up Kyojuro and ran as fast as my legs could carry me.