Chapter 29: For good?

Chapter twenty-nine: For good? (Ellie's POV)

"Wait, what?" Brett asked. 

"Yeah, she uh- she said that she was walking her dog and there um- there was this truck that was helping unload some stuff back at his place. She thought some new people were moving in so she went to say hello. But James answered the door," I explained, reading the text over and over again. 

"What is he moving back into town for? Didn't he go off to New York?" Brett questioned. 

"Yeah, his entire family left but they're all back," I answered. 

"You're not going to run into him though. I mean, what are the chances," Brett shrugged. 

My eyes met Zach's and we were both just as confused. I think everyone was a little confused. 

Why the hell is he back? 

"I don't know, we'll have to wait and see." 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I sighed while pulling my seatbelt on, running my hand through my hair. We were late, and even though Zach is suspended, he was determined to come. He says he just won't attend classes. Neither of us woke up on time, Brett didn't wake us up, he just left on his own, so now here we are, rushing to school to get there in time for the second period. 

Zach drove pretty fast, luckily we weren't pulled over and somehow managed to get a parking spot as well. We got out and rushed inside. We both had English with Mr. Prichard right now so that's where we have to go. 

"Mr. Prichard is nice, he won't say anything. He's even letting you attend class. Maybe we could say that-" I stopped rambling when both of us crashed right into someone. I stumbled back a little but Zach grabbed my arm and kept me up while both of us mumbled curses. "Jesus," I mumbled while crouching down and picking up some sheets that I dropped. 

"Sorry, I wasn't looking," the person laughed. 

I knew that voice. 

I glanced up and saw James. He was saying something to Zach. I kept my head down and picked up my stuff, trying to make sure he didn't recognize me. 

"I'm James." He stuck his hand out in front of Zach.

"Zach," he introduced himself while shaking his hand. 

"Hi, I'm-" He turned to me but stopped talking when I looked up at him. 

"James," I nodded. 

"Ellie," he sighed, "Um- can I please talk to you for a moment?" he asked. 

"I'm sorry, not right now. We're late for class," I began walking briskly, not even finishing my sentence. 

"At lunch?" he called out. 

I stopped and mumbled a lot of curses under my breath. Zach shook his head at me slowly. "Fine!" I called back out without turning around. We continued walking until we got to class and walked in, taking our seats. 

"You shouldn't have agreed," he whispered while we started working. 

"What happened?" Ashley asked. 

"James happened," I huffed. 

Lunch rolled around and unlike usual, I was dreading it. And I mean dreading it. 

"Maybe he forgot about it, just sit down. If he comes over then we'll deal with it," Zach shrugged. We reached the cafeteria and I halted upon seeing him standing at the entrance.