Chapter 35: Boyfriend meets parents

Chapter thirty-five: Boyfriend meets parents (Ellie's POV)

Zach and I looked at each other as soon as Ashley said those words. 

"It's been a month?" I asked again. 

"Yeah," she replied, "What are you going to do?" she repeated. 

I watched as Zach looked at me expectantly, waiting for me to answer. "I- I don't know," I cleared my throat. The bell rang and we all began grabbing our stuff and heading for the remaining two periods. 

While we were walking, Zach came up to me and grabbed my arm, pulling me back and away from the others who continued walking to class. "There's something I need to ask you," he said while scratching the back of his head. 

"Is this about the month being over?" I asked hesitantly. 

"What? No, no. That's completely up to you. I don't know if I'm staying in the apartment either because my parents will be back soon. That's not it," he said, stammering over a few words. 

"Okay," I said slowly and unsurely. 

"I um-" he sighed, not knowing how to say it. 

"Just say it. It can't be that bad," I shrugged. 

"Just say it," he nodded, "Right," he mumbled under his breath. 

I stood there waiting patiently while the hallways began getting empty and deserted, eventually just leaving us two. 

"Okay, I wanted to ask-" he cleared his throat, "Will you be my girlfriend?" he huffed, finally spitting it out. 

"What?" I gaped at him, "What are you- how did- what?" I sputtered. 

"Huh?" He looked at me in confusion. 

"How did you decide to ask me this? Why um- why do you want me to be your girlfriend?" I asked hesitantly. 

"Because I have feelings for you," he shrugged. 

"No, I- that's not what I meant," I huffed, biting back a smile. 

"Because we've been together for almost three weeks, basically almost a month. I think that's long enough to lock it in. And I may have lost the bet because surely you're not in love with me, but I was sort of hoping I could walk away with a girlfriend. I really like you, Ellie. I want to lock it in and put a title on it. And I want to commit. One hundred percent," he explained. 

"Is this supposed to help me decide whether I stay at the apartment or not?" I narrowed my eyes and him playfully. 

"Maybe," he mumbled. 

"Well, I don't know if I can stay at the apartment," I paused and stepped closer to him, "But I do know that I can be your girlfriend," I grinned. 

"Really?" he smiled back, seeming surprised. 

"Did you think I was going to say no?" I chuckled while pulling him into a hug. 

"No, I- I didn't know," he laughed while hugging me back before pulling away enough so that he could kiss me. 

"Back to class, you two," Mr. Prichard said as he walked by, grabbing print outs from the printing room. And then we headed for class, smiling uncontrollably like idiots. That's what we are. 

Idiots. 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Are you sure that's what you want though? I mean, we can stay," he said, waving his hand dismissively while I packed my things.