Chapter Thirty-Eight: Tracks, Trails and Probable Deniability

"You look

   "You look..." Branuel Or De A'lanuel begins but Terrenel cuts him off.
   "—Stunning.  You look stunning Mo bhanrigh bhòidheach bhòidheach."
   I smile.  "I understand what you're saying now, Terrenel.  You just called me your beautiful, darling queen."
   Terrenel nods.  He's wearing a slight, almost shy smile on his face.  Branuel's face however is unreadable.  I can't figure out if he's pissed, angry, happy, anything.
   "So you left us in the human sheep prison so you could fuck," Branuel Or De A'lanuel says dryly, and my mouth drops open.
   "Be quiet," Terrenel says harshly.  "We were barely there very long.  And this is something Mo bhanrigh bhòidheach bhòidheach needed to do.  It was much delayed, in fact."
   Suddenly Branuel smiles and laughs.  "I am just, isn't the human word, joking? I am just joking, mo bhanrigh meadhan oidhche.  In fact, you could have spent more time away if you chose to do so...that was fun." His eyes gleam. And I get a bad feeling in my gut.
   "What did you do, Branuel Or De A'lanuel." I had gone in and talked to my Captain.  Richardson had been suspended for drawing his weapon at a "civilian" in public no less, surrounded by more civilians.  The Cap had just been waiting for me to arrive to fill out paperwork, fill him in, and get "my boys" out, as he called them.  He said they'd been no trouble, except the dark haired one kind of gave him the willies.  And I knew exactly what he meant.  Hell, Branuel Or De A'lanuel gave ME the willies and I knew him better than any of them...or at least I think I did (or was getting to).
   "Oh nothing much.  Now, now, mo bhanrigh meadhan oidhche.  Do not look at me that way.  Did you see any bodies? Well, did you? I didn't kill anybody, not a one...even though I was quite tempted.  Especially that one that threw the food at us, do you remember that Terrenel Tir Oben?"
   Terrenel's jaw clenches and I'm furious on their behalf.  "Someone threw food at you? An officer? An officer threw food at you?"
   "Well, he was wearing that ridiculous uniform they wear.  I mean, really?" Branuel says.  "What good is that uniform at all, it stops nothing.  They have no armor on, they have no shield, and they're all cowards...no swords or knives, no hand to hand, everything is with that what is it called, a firearm? So yes, he was wearing that ridiculous uniform."
   "What did he look like?" I ask. I'm going right back into the precinct and talking to Cap.  NO ONE, NO ONE treats my guys like that.
Let it go, my beloved.  They're not worse for wear.  Did you not hear Branuel Or De A'lanuel say that it was 'fun.' Do you really want to bring him back into that place? Do you really want him to be surrounded again by more...playthings?
   Well, when you put it like that.  You're right.  But I might have to talk to the Cap over the phone then, because that is not acceptable.  It really isn't acceptable, Chamuel.
   "What do you do?" Branuel suddenly interrupt my conversation with Chamuel
   "They are mind speaking," Terrenel says quietly.
   Branuel narrows his eyes.  "You will stop doing that.  I do not like it.  I followed your rules.  I behaved, I did not harms anyone overly much.  And I didn't kill anyone.  Now you will listen to me, and stop this mindspeak."
   I shake my head.  "No can do, Branuel Or De A'lanuel.  Your rules are rules that had to be followed because otherwise you'd be in deep shit on the Earth realm.  We do have tentative treaties as you know.  Your following the rules that are in place does not give you the right to put your own stupid rule forth about me not being able to speak to my bonded."
   "I have no issue with you speaking to your, angel," he spits the word out as if it's poison, "...speak if you wish, just do so out-loud"
   "I'll speak to Chamuel however I wish to.  And now I need to know what you did to any of the men in the precinct."
   "Maybe not here, my amour," Chamuel says. 
   I look around and realize we're still standing in front of the precinct.  How stupid could I be.  Speaking to Branuel Or De A'lanuel always pissed me off and fried my neurons—and not in a good way.  Yup.  I blame Branuel Or De A'lanuel.
I fear this will be a long road for you and he
   I look at Chamuel and roll my eyes. Try an unpaved dirt ditch.  I don't know if I'll ever get "there" with him, Chamuel.  We can barely speak without going for each other's throats.  And all we do is infuriate one another.
   You will get there.  It will be rough and unsteady, but you will get there.  The Graces are never wrong, and neither is HE.
   "STOP!" Branuel shouts and I roll my eyes at him.
   "You're acting like a big stupid baby," I mutter, and usher them to my car at which seeing it both Branuel and Terrenel blanch, and I laugh, heartily.