Chapter Forty-Four: Listening for a Lifeline

"You should have allowed me to have him, mo bhanrigh meadhan oidhche," Branuel Or De A'lanuel says grimly as we leave the station.
   "Should have allowed you to have whom?" I ask, genuinely confused.
   "The rude human sheep who asked to be added to our Goddess blessed link."
   I blink, shocked.  "You mean Wilson?"
   "Yes, yes, I believe that is the name you called him.  Although if I remember correctly he has wanted you to call him by his Christian name, Anthony.  And he called...calls you Nor...a pet name, an endearment.  I detest it.  I detest him.  You should have allowed me to have him." I watch as literal flames seem to appear in his eyes and I hold up my hand.
   "Whoaaaa there, calm down.  Seriously, calm the fuck down.  You're going to get hauled back into the station, and this time in cuffs if you continue with that shit.  Wilson is totally harmless.  Slimy, sure, annoying, stubborn and a god-awful flirt, yeah, but harmless.  Branuel, I mean it, calm down right now."
   "If you would allow me but a piece of him—"
   "—Absolutely not! You do not get a piece of Wilson because he flirted, and may I say, badly, with me."
   "That was flirting?" Terrenel asks dubiously.
   "That's Wilson's way of flirting," I sigh, "Listen, again, Wilson is totally harmless, AND in this case he was actually really helpful.  Now we have a genuine lead, a goddamn good one too." I push a strand of wayward hair back over my shoulder.  "I wish Garrett was here with us.  I wish I didn't have to leave him stuck with all that damned paperwork.  I feel like such a bitch doing so."
He offered, my amour.  Do not feel badly.
   Can't help it, Chamuel.  Did you see how much paperwork there was?  Usually we split it evenly.  This is the first time I've left him with the bulk of it.
   But Goodson knows that you are out doing what you do best.  He realizes that you are needed out here.  That what you are doing is what you need to be doing. 
   I guess.  I still feel kinda shitty about leaving him with all of it.
   Do not.  He does not feel badly, only you do.
   You don't think he feels like I dumped a shit load of crap on him and then dumped him at the station too.
   No, I didn't feel that intention or thought from him.
   Oh, that's right, you can do that.  You can pick that stuff up.  So you know that Garrett isn't like, totally pissed at me.
   Chamuel laughs, and then speaks to my mind again, No, beloved, Goodson isn't totally pissed at you.  And he genuinely is happy that he has helped, and that he continues to help by doing what he is doing.  By doing that paperwork as you call it, he allows you the ability to have the time to hunt the killers.  In addition he got you that list.
   "I truly hate when you mindspeak, High Heavenly Host." Branuel says, with what almost looks like a pout on his face.  Chamuel says nothing so Branuel adds, "It is incredibly rude.  You leave us all in the dark."  Again, Chamuel remains silent.
   "I guess it is a little rude, Branuel Or De A'lanuel," I say softly, and four sets of eyes turn to me shocked.  It seems I've been having a lot of epiphanies lately...they've been making me say please, and thank you, I'm sorry, and now, admitting to things that just a little while ago I would have died before admitting to.  "It is a little rude when Chamuel and I speak mind-to-mind, and for that I am sorry, I apologize, however, we are not going to stop...we can't.  It is now just 'normal' for us.  We speak to each other's minds as easily as we speak out loud, and I couldn't stop even if I wanted to, which I don't.  You are just going to have to adjust, and deal with it, I guess."
   Walker laughs.  "That just sooooo...you, baby girl.  Doing something that takes us aback, surprising the shit outta us, only to turn around and be just so you."
   "That doesn't even make any sense, Walker," I say, rolling my eyes.
   "Sure it does." Walker jerks his thumb toward the rest of the guys, "They get it, don't you guys get it." At their collective nods I groan.
   "You're corrupting them, Walker."
   Walker laughs harder.  "Hate to say this baby girl, but I didn't have to do a lot in that regard."
   "Oh, just be quiet, Walker Sergei Romanoff."
   "Whatever you say, Annora Gun Samhail Park," Walker salutes me and then winks.  He's totally incorrigible.
   "Listen, we need to hit this trail before it goes cold."  I stare at my guys, "Well...come on." When they don't move I shake my head and sigh, "Okay...what's wrong, why aren't you moving."
   "The metal monster holds no appeal to us, mo bhanrigh meadhan oidhche," Branuel Or De A'lanuel says
   "Metal monster?" I think a moment and then burst out laughing, "Are you talking about my car? Oh my gah seriously, Branuel.  You cannot be afraid of my car."
   "It is unnatural," Branuel Or De A'lanuel says.
   "So is wanting to torture someone for flirting with me," I snipe back. "Now get into the damn car."