-:- chapter 7 -:- bullet & brother -:-

The rest of the day flew by and when Tuesday came, I had gym class. Most of the girls were wearing short shorts and sports bra, but I was wearing my Lorna Jane tights and a hoodie.

I wasn't subconscious of my body or anything like that, not that anybody should be. I mean, I actually have a very toned body, as a result of all the years of training. But, I also have a lot of scars. Most are on my torso or arms but there are a few on my legs.

Nobody has seen all my scars. Not even the doctors, because most of them I treated myself. I hate it when people see them they look at me with pity and ask where they came from. I can't just tell them "oh, that one was a mission gone wrong in Russia". I can't relive all that again.

Some of the girls looked at me weirdly. Some were even whispering about how I was probably fat, but they stopped when I outran all the boys in the laps and didn't break a sweat.

****

  "I'm no photographer but I can picture you and me together... Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk by again"

  "Go ahead, I need practice hitting a moving target" I shoot back, only half joking. Carl gives me that 'really Alexa?' look and I shrug.

We were sitting in the cafeteria, eating lunch. Ace was trying every damn pickup line in the book. I was already sick of school and it was only Tuesday. All these judgmental, cake face, cocky teenagers were really getting on my nerves.

****

5...4...3...2...ringggggggg.

The bell finally rang and I was up and out of my seat instantly. Finally. I can go home.

"Not so fast AJ" I freeze, halfway through getting on my bike. Turning around, I find Carl standing there smirking.

"What do you mean 'not so fast'? I wanna go homeeeee, I have work to do." I whine like a little kid. It is true though, some of the gang have a mission and I was meant to sit in on it.

"Yes work, the schoolwork we have to do with Ace and Emma." He laughed at my face.

"Noooooooooooooooo." 

He gave me a look that said it was not up for discussion. 

"Fine, I'll go" I muttered. 

Just as we finished talking, Ace and Emma walk over to us. I had a weird feeling about tonight. I couldn't explain it but normally my gut feelings are never wrong. So I quickly sent a text to Carl about being on guard. Of course he was quick to say I was being paranoid.

"Hey guys, ready to go?" We both nod, and he continues "just follow us it's only about 10 minutes".

They get into their cars and me on my bike. I follow Carl, as he follows Ace.

Once we got to the house, I was honestly a little shocked, it was a really nice house. Not as big as mine but definitely too big and expensive for two high school kids. As soon as I got off my bike, I was tackled by Emma.

"I haven't had a friend over in years, we are going to have so much fun" I laugh at her excitement. When Carl and Ace walk over, she says "hey big bro, are the boys home?" What is she talking about?

"Bray is but Cam won't be back till later."  Oh man, I have to meet more people? If you couldn't already tell, I'm not a very social person. Here we go.

We walk into the house and come to a foyer like room. Ace leads us to the living room and the first thing I notice is a guy sitting on the couch. I can't see his face because we walked in a door that was behind him.

"Yo Bray, come meet our new friends." The guy walks over and guess who the fuck it is.

Bullet. 

His stupid silver eye staring back at me makes me furious. I go to take a step toward him and, I don't know, attack him or something. But a hand holding my arm stops me. Carl somehow knew what I was feeling because he whispered in my ear "not here, not now." For only me to hear.

He's right. We have to keep our cover. I can't risk anyone in the gang's safety.

So instead I put the best fake smile I can on my face and stick out my hand "I'm Alexa". That's all I'm able to grit out. He grabs my hand and says his name is Brayden Miller.

Most of my anger flies out the window and I almost laugh when I notice the nasty looking bruise on the side of his face, remembering that I put that there. A really smug smile makes its way to my face when we all sit down on the couch "So Brayden, where'd you get that bruise?" I ask as casually as possible. Carl looks at me like 'WTF are you doing'. I smirk at him then go back to looking at Brayden.

"A fight", he all but spits out. Oh this is fun.

"With who?" I question further, seeing him tense up before answering.

"Some kid with beginner's luck"

Oh no, he did not just call me a kid. Luckily Ace chooses that moment to speak up. I was about to do some real damage to tough guy Miller over here. "We should probably start on our project", he turned to me "where do you want to start?" Oh shit, I don't even know what subject this is for. Fuck.

Carl, being my best friend, knew that I wasn't listening during class and he just laughed "dude you're going to have to explain the whole thing to her again. She wasn't listening at all during class." I shoot a glare his way before turning back to Ace with a guilty face.

"Yeah, I have a few questions. First one: umm what subject is this for?" Everyone just looks at me with 'are you serious' faces, while I notice that Brayden has gotten a phone call and left the room.

We are almost done with the project, when my phone starts to ring. I was going to ignore it but then I see it is Des, "hey, sorry guys, I'll be right back I just have to take this."

I waited till I was on the back porch and out of ear range before answering the phone
Alexa = A. Des = D

A – How did the mission go?
D – All went according to plan, apart from a few people with minor injuries.

I was glad to hear that. We may seem like a heartless mafia but everyone of our members across the country either comes from a rough background, or we helped get them out of tough situations. We even have systems that are sort of like foster homes to get kids off the street or out of abusive homes and raise them right. Kinda like what happened to me. We are just one big family. Because in the end: la familia es más profunda que la sangre (family runs deeper than blood).

****

After about 10 minutes outside listening to the details of the mission, Des had to go so I hung up and decided to wait a bit before going inside.

But when I heard the front door open and close, I was curious so I went straight back in, and what I found shocked me.

Inside was a guy, standing in the living room looking down at his phone. I freeze.

The guy was slim but also muscular, had tattoos up one arm and scruffy brown hair. But the part that had me frozen was I knew this guy. When he looked up, I stared into the eyes - the same as mine. Eyes I had only seen on one person. Shock was written all over his face. I don't know how long we stood there looking at each other before Ace noticed. "oh yeah, Alexa this is Cameron." I knew who he was.

"Cammy?" was all I managed to whisper out.

"Lexi?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

oh damn drama. anyway let me know what you think.

or what you think should happen next?

don't forget to vote and comment.

words - 1364