Chapter 1

It took a punch to the face to realize that I lived an additional 16 years after an untimely end.

And a kick to my balls indicated that I was no longer female but a male.

I was hit an additional three times but they didn't bring any new revelation, instead the last blow to my already crumbling psyche was the appearance of my older brother: a distinctive red fluffy blob with charming gold hues— there was only one person that I could link him to, and that was the fictional male lead of an otome game called 「The Love I Cherish: Secret Promises Made to You」.

What a complicated title...

Like any otome game the female lead was bound to fall in love with the capture targets. On the contrary, the game had one more story: the female lead's brother aka the male lead's story. Though it wasn't playable unless you played through every character route as the female lead with 100%.

That's right, this otome game was popular because of its diversity. Hetero love, boy love and even girl love! Ages were glazed a lot too, but thankfully it didn't go into forbidden areas- that would have hurt sales for sure.

All this came to me while I was laying in bed to recuperate. I closed my eyes and let out a tired sigh. That punch really hurt, not to mention my balls were still smarting from the pain–

Shaking the thought out of my head I figured I should sort out the information I currently have.

Like how this world, Aquestria, is a magic ridden world but with corrupt powers powerful magic were sealed by high nobility while the basics were left for those below. The background setting really never failed to repulse me.

The game was set in a medieval steampunk fashion where Royalty and the Noble Hierarchy existed, so the Kingdom the game took place in was called Trophyll.

Okay, so far so good. Nothing seems to have been damaged in that scuffle earlier.

Both the male lead and the female lead come from a low Baron house, but due to their incredible and rare magic prowess they were scouted by High Mages to attend the prestigious academy that cultivated Elite children. I believe it was called... Yggdrasil Academy.

...sounds about right.

A knock interrupted my thought process. "I'm coming in,"

The door opened to reveal both my elder brother and sister, and like earlier my mind lurched. They were both definitely, without a doubt, the male and female lead of the game.

"Oh my gosh! Hang in there, Caleb!" My sister's voice cried out in horror, her footsteps sounding rushed. "Who would do this to you!"

"Who else but those scoundrels," My brother's voice scoffed in disdain. "They're clearly begging for a beat down."

I tried to clear my mind of the conversation to fill in the rest of my knowledge of the game.

"What do you say about poisoning them?"

"That's far too forgiving compared to what they have done to Caleb, I say we dismember a single part of their bodies."

"Excellent idea, Stephen!"

My eyes shot open at the plain as day diabolical planning. That wasn't right. It wasn't right at all! I shot out of my sister's embrace and quickly curbed their murder plans. "Anastasia, Stephen, you don't have to do that! I'm perfectly fine! See?"

I puffed my chest in exaggeration as I hit a fist onto it. Only to wince when an injury acted up. My perspiration doubled in hopes of proving my wellness.

Anastasia sighed, her cheek resting on her hand as a worried look creased her beautiful features. Her semi wavy red hair that nearly reached the small of her back and gold eyes had given her the title of 「Majestic Phoenix」among her fanbase. "If you say so, Caleb,"

"You know you can rely on us if things get out of hand, right?" Stephen gave a pat on my head, gently stroking it. With his looks and high etiquette that his rightful title, given by the masses, was 「Secret Prince」. I had heard rumours of his title being carefully selected in order to not provoke the Crown Prince or the Second Prince that attended the same Academy.

How nice to have a title...

I didn't have a title, and to boot I didn't even look like my siblings. My locks were black and flat, my eyes were green. My body was smaller than an average male and my complexion was rather pale. Despite all that, I am fortunate to be a healthy child in this life.

"Of course I know," I gave them a smile. "I always appreciate your help."

I was smothered in another hug from Anastasia who cried out "you are so sweet!" and "how could nobody see your adorable self!" I let her rant as I lost myself in thought.

The reason for our stark appearances was clearly because we came from different mothers. We my be triplets in age but we were not triplets in genes. Both Anastasia and Stephen are true twins of our Father's legal wife, while I was the single child of his Mistress.

Again, despite the statuses, our Father loves both his wives dearly and gave equal love to his children. He is definitely a good man.

Society on the other hand bore different views.

I wasn't an excellent child when compared to my older siblings, and was constantly picked on because of it. I had to put twice as much effort to match strides with my siblings and to relish in the stupefied faces of those gossip mongers. Yet I knew it still wasn't enough.

It was for that reason that I had begged Father to let me take on my Mother's maiden name when the time for school enrolment came. I was determined to not stain my Father's name further.

Not until I can do his name proud.

Anastasia and Stephen bid farewell after making sure I was alright, which I had responded with a "good grief" and a smile. This left me to be submersed in my thoughts. It was also then that I realized a major problem.

I, Caleb Resvelt Vineheart, was not supposed to exist in this game at all.