Chapter Seven | Don't Be a Stranger

Seven:

It was now Friday, exactly a week from the dance, and I was growing extremely irritated with Jace insisting on following me everywhere. The last bell of the day had just rang and I was headed out the double doors of the school towards freedom, when I heard it.

"Hey, Audrey! Wait up!"

I stopped frozen in my tracks, closing my eyes in defeat as Jace jogged and caught up to me.

"You avoiding me?" He asked in a joking voice, almost making me laugh because I was doing just that.

I just smiled nervously and kept walking. From the corner of my eye I saw him straightening his shirt and running a hand through his auburn hair, tousling it. A part of me was flattered he cared so much about what I thought of him, but mostly I was just annoyed. He's been acting like a clingy boyfriend and we weren't even dating...anymore.

He threw his arm around my shoulder, almost making me trip as we shuffled down the stairs.

"So I was thinking," he started, "I really want to make the night of the dance memorable for you, what do you think of coming to my place after?"

My eyes almost bulged out of my head at his words. Was he serious? My automatic response was to tell him hell no, but I held my tongue because I didn't feel like arguing or prolonging this conversation.

"I don't think so," I muttered. "Listen, Jace, I gotta get home. I'll see you later." Without another word, I turned away from him and doubled my pace as I walked.

We were in the parking lot and I was walking down the sidewalk, reaching into my bag and fishing out my headphones when I slammed into someone.

I fell straight on my ass and it stung, bad. Hissing in pain as I leaned forward to stand up, the guy I ran into spoke. "Oh, shit! I'm so sorry, let me help you."

I looked up at the guy to see the hand he was offering me, and recognition dawned in his eyes. "Audrey? This is crazy!"

My eyes widened. It was Austin, from Walmart the other night. I winced as I grabbed his hand and he pulled me to my feet; my ass was definitely going to bruise.

"Austin. Hi! I didn't know you went here."

"Same goes for you. So imagine my surprise when I accidentally knock a pretty blonde to the ground and it turns out to be you," he said with humor in his eyes.

I felt heat rush to my cheeks as his compliment registered.

"So where you headed?" he asked, slowly releasing my hand from his grip.

"Home," I answered. "My friend who usually gives me a ride left early, so I was just walking."

"Oh, well, let me give you a ride," he said.

"No...you don't have to, but thanks."

"Come on, there's no way I can let you walk home now, I injured you!"

"Oh don't be dramatic," I said jokingly, though I really was in pain. "I'll be fine."

"I feel bad, Audrey. Please, just humor me and let me drive you?" he gave a puppy dog face, which made me giggle.

"Fine, but only because the puppy dog always makes me feel guilty."

He laughed, "Whatever it takes."

"Wow, nice car." I said in admiration as I slid into his shiny, red sports car.

He ran a hand through his hair, looking a little embarrassed. "Thanks, It's still pretty new."