Epilogue

Three Months Later

Author's PoV:

Despite it still being the end of summer, it had rained a few hours ago, leaving the soil damp. A very prominent scent of wet mud lingered in the air, one that Nandini truly loved. India didn't have a significant autumn season, and yet, there were hundreds of dead, dried fallen leaves on the barren forest ground, being rustled around by the wind lightly, making an ever so small swooshing sound.

Many would consider such a setting in a graveyard on an early evening spooky, but for her– Nandini, it wasn't. Digging the ends of her heels into the moist mud below, she sheepishly played with her feet where she stood, as if trying to avoid the inevitable. Very slight tears glistened in her eyes but there was also little sad smile on her lips as she bent below to her knees, placing the red rose ahead, over the grave's bed. "God, I'm late. Again. Does that make me a terrible person? I literally couldn't even keep my promise to a dead person."

And as if involuntarily, her eyes flickered upwards to drink the tears she feared would otherwise fall and ruin her make up. The evening was very young, and the sky overhead was still coloured in a cotton candy pink. The last rays of golden were still visible between cracks of the clouds, as if fading away, and splatters of blue and lilac were making it's place.

Oh, how much she had missed the skies of India. Over the years she spent alone abroad, she had slowly come to learn that no London could ever compare to her home country and what it meant to her.

"So, Cabir and Navya are finally getting married," she said, a little sniff in the end as she pulled the smile back on her lips. As if he could really see her. But she wanted to smile, for him. He'd want that. "I know what you would have said if you were here, that they were always meant for each other."

"I... I just really wish you were here to see it too. Cabir and Navya would have wanted that. I would have wanted that." Despite knowing she wanted to be happy, for that light second, her smile faltered as the greedy thought made it's place in her head. If he was here. If he hadn't died.

She wondered how different life would have been, even in this moment- he'd be here and he'd smile that breathtaking smile and of course, he'd compliment her. He'd tell her how proud he was that she finally found it in herself to return to India, to return home.

Taking a deep breath, she got up. She couldn't risk anyone seeing her here. Visiting the graveyard is considered a taboo on auspicious days, but she just couldn't stop herself. She'd been here everyday for the past some days, then how could she not be here today?

Wiping a silent traitor tear that managed to escape one of her eyes, she concentrated on her breathing until she reached the venue- the hotel they were all staying at. Thankfully, it wasn't that far, and honestly, she didn't think that was much of a coincidence. Cabir had purposely chosen a hotel close to the grave- maybe his way of apologising for what happened on that day. Three months ago.

"Visiting him again?" Nandini heard a voice behind her when she was reentering through the main lobby gates, and she almost jumped at her place. She'd lie if she said her heart didn't skip a beat.

"Aliya." She breathed, turning aback at her. And then, she was reluctant to answer that question. "I.. I.."

"It's okay," Aliya immediately said, grabbing Nandini's hands. "I won't tell anyone, your secret is safe with me."

"Thank you." Nandini replied, relief washing over her, pulling a little smile on her lips.

"I get it, you know... we all feel the loss, but you... I can't imagine being in your place. You loved him so much."