Operant Conditioning

"How funny is it?" Midoriya asked.

"Oh, you'll see," J replied. "Any of you ever heard of Pavlov's Dog?"

"Yeah, it was a psychological experiment that gave rise to the concept of classical conditioning," Yaoyorozu answered.

"Exactly. So, we're gonna see a couple different examples of this being applied," J said. "I think you'll find it mildly entertaining, at the very least."

Midoriya, Todoroki, and Yaoyorozu were sitting around a living room, eating. Yaoyorozu got up.

"Are you finished?" she asked Midoriya.

"Well, thank you," Midoriya replied as she picked up an empty plate. "How thoughtful. Would you like a chocolate?" he asked, holding out a piece of chocolate.

"Uh, yeah, sure," she replied, leaning down to grab the chocolate with her teeth as Todoroki gave a confused look.

"Oh, I think I see where this is going," Kaminari said.

Cut to another scene, where Yaoyorozu sits on the couch as Midoriya walks in. As soon as she sees Midoriya, she scoots over.

"Oh, sorry Midoriya, I almost sat in your spot," she said.

"Did you? I didn't notice," Midoriya said. "Have a chocolate."

"Thank you," Yaoyorozu replied with a smile, eating the chocolate as Todoroki looked on, confused.

Cut to another scene, where the three are sitting on a couch. Midoriya looks over at Yaoyorozu, who's laughing loudly at what they're watching.

"You're here a lot now," Midoriya said.

"Oh, am I talking too much? I'm sorry. Zip!" she said, zipping her lips.

"Thank you. Chocolate?"

"Damn, now I want some chocolate," Mineta said.

"Yes, please," Yaoyorozu said, taking a chocolate and eating it. All of a sudden, her phone rang, and she answered. "Oh, hey Ashido. Yeah, I --" she looked at Midoriya. "You know what? Hold on, lemme take this in the hall."

"Chocolate?" Midoriya mouthed. Yaoyorozu took one as she got up from the couch.

After she left the room, Todoroki turned to Midoriya.

"Okay, I know what you're doing," he accused.

"Really?"

"Yes. You're using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider correct behavior."

"Very good. Chocolate?"

"Man, I'm trying to manipulate everyone," Midoriya said.

"No! Midoriya, you can't train my girlfriend like a lab rat!" Todoroki exclaimed.

"I'm his what, now?" Yaoyorozu asked, blushing.

"Actually, it turns out I can," Midoriya replied in a deadpan tone.

"Well, you shouldn't."

Midoriya sighed. "There's just no pleasing you, is there, Todoroki? You weren't happy with my previous approach to dealing with her, so I decided to employ operant conditioning techniques, building on the works of Thorndike and B.F. Skinner."

"Well, now I'm worried. What was his previous approach?" Yaoyorozu asked.

"By this time next week, I believe I can have her jumping out of a pool, balancing a beach ball on her nose," Midoriya said.

"No, this has to stop now," Todoroki replied.

"I'm not suggesting we really make her jump out of a pool. I thought the bazinga was implied."

"After all, professionals have standards," Midoriya said.

"I'm just tweaking her personality, sanding off the rough edges, if you will."

"No, you're not sanding Momo!"

"Are you saying that I'm forbidden from applying a harmless, scientifically valid protocol that will make our lives better?"

"Yes, you're forbidden."

Midoriya responded by picking up a spray bottle full of water and spraying Todoroki with it while saying, "Bad Todoroki."

"Y'know, using positive reinforcement techniques, I could train that behavior out of her in a week."

"No."

"If you let me use negative reinforcement, I can get it done before we go to bed."

"I'm gonna need you to cite your sources on that one," Mineta said.

"You're squirting her in the face with water."

"No, of course not. We're talking very mild electric shocks, no tissue damage whatsoever."

"Jesus Christ, Midoriya!" Kaminari exclaimed.

"Forget it!"

"Oh, come on! You can't tell me you're not intrigued about the possibility of building a better girlfriend."

"I am not! Momo's qualities, both good and bad, are what make her who she is."

As if on cue, Yaoyorozu started laughing shrilly in the hallway.

"Oh, that is not how I laugh," Yaoyorozu said.

"You mean like that high-pitched, irritating laugh?" Midoriya asked.

"Yes."

"You wouldn't prefer a throaty chuckle?"

"You're not changing how Momo laughs."

"No, that would be incongruous. No, I was going to lower the whole voice to a more pleasing register."

"Remind me never to get on Midoriya's bad side," Kirishima said.

Yaoyorozu walked back in. "Ugh, sorry guys. That girl is freaky," she said, raising her pitch on the last word.

"Come again?" Midoriya asked.

"Freaky."

"Freaky?"

"Yeah, freaky."

"Have a chocolate."

"Man, Todoroki looks like he is so done," Mineta said.

"Thank you," Yaoyorozu said in a much deeper pitch, causing Todoroki to look at the two of them with wide eyes.

It then cut to Midoriya standing up. "Well, I'm gonna make some warm milk and then turn in," he said, walking away. He turned around. "I trust if you two are planning on engaging in amorous activities, you'll keep the decibel level to a minimum."

"Of course," Yaoyorozu answered.

"Thank you." Midoriya then tossed a chocolate at her, which she caught in her mouth.

The entire theater burst into laughter.

"Oh my God, this is hilarious!" Uraraka exclaimed.

"Get ready, cuz the next one will be even funnier," J said.