Chapter 13: The Voices in my Head

Mickiyah followed me out of the bathroom, grabbing my shoulder once again. "Hey, you better be careful. I'm telling you, nothing's wrong. It's Emily who's making things wrong."

I put my fingers in my ear and looked at her. "I don't want to hear it anymore," I said. Part of me knew I was being a little immature, but I didn't care. I cared about my life and safety. Mickiyah didn't even look like Mickiyah to me anymore. I wasn't sure who she was.

The two of us returned to class. I guess I didn't look at the class before I sat down because when I looked around, I realized that no one was in the room. Not one single soul. Mickiyah locked the door.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I stood up and looked at her. On top of everything, Gave called my phone. I picked it up out of fear, trying my best to get to the door but Mickiyah kept blocking me.

"Where are you, bud?" He asked me.

"Gave!" I called into the phone. "I'm in class at Dickson Hall. Please come get me. I can't even explain."

The lights began to flicker until they eventually went off. My friend stood there in front of the door, simply smiling. I was about to just run past her but everything went pitch black and the darkness swallowed me up. I couldn't feel or see anything. I no longer felt like I was in that room. Then...the lights came on.

There was a man now standing in front of the door instead of Mickiyah. He had dark, smooth, combed back hair and wore jeans and a button-up shirt. His skin looked pasty and the more I looked, I could see maggots and worms crawl out then in back into his skin. At that moment, my heart jumped out of my skin.

"Mr. Harmon," I hesitated, unsure if it was really him.

"It's so good to see you again, Emily," He said.

My head turned. "Wha-I'm not Emily," I told him. Did he really think that I was Emily? Couldn't have. I inched back as he walked forward.

"Did you really think that this was over?" He went on, slowly taking steps toward. "that you'd walk away happy with your family? With Jasper? With Caleb?"

Suddenly, three people appeared in the room that I've never seen before. I began getting anxiety and panic. My heart felt heavy inside of my chest to the point I had to hold it, truly unaware of how terrified I was. There was a young girl, kid, and boy standing next to each other facing the wall. I couldn't see their faces...even when they turned around slowly there were no faces.

"They're right where they belong, Emily," he said. "right where you should be."

"I'm not Emily," I choked out the words.

Mr. Harmn started walking towards me and the lights went off again. I could no longer hear a thing. Just my heart beating and my heavy breathing.

"You're dead." Someone whispered into my ear. I felt their hot breath against my skin.

I screamed out loud and made my way towards where I thought the door was, feeling around. I heard the words "you're dead" over and over again. I could hear screaming. My ear were beginning to hurt and so were my hands as I screamed and hit the walls, banging as if someone would hear me.

"Somebody help me!" I screamed.

The lights came on.

"Tori?"

The teacher and the rest of the class looked at me including Mickiyah. I was literally shaking like a leaf, looking around in total shock and confusion. The teacher inched out of her chair and tried to walk towards me.

I left the room though. I left the whole building and ran towards my dorm. On my way, Gave bumped into me. "Tori?" He said, holding me who was still shaking. He looked me up and down. "Are you alright?"

I shook my head. "We need to-um...can we go to your dorm? Mickiyah-"

"Calm down," he said. "let's go to my dorm."

***

Once we were at his dorm and I calmed down, he asked me to explain what had happened. When I did, I was positive that he didn't believe me. I barely believed me.

"Mickiyah is definitely possessed," he shook his head. "maybe Mr. Harmon is possessing her?"

I shrugged. "It's hard to tell. She's been weird since her parent's died. Remember the paintings and stuff? The Ouiji board? She...wanted this?"

"Come on, Tori," he looked my way. "I don't think this is what she wanted. She...wanted to know there was more to life."

"People who want to know don't go looking for it through creepy paintings and Ouiji boards," I told him. "She wanted more."

"So, you don't think she's possessed?" He asked.

"Nope," I said bluntly. "I think she has control and a choice. She chose her side."

He nodded slowly. "I don't know...this is all still crazy to me. It's so creepy."

"Mr. Harmon thought I was Emily," I told him.

He sat next to me on his bed. "But why?"

I shrugged. "No idea..."

"Where is Emily?" He asked.

"I don't know," I said. "I don't know what to do."

"Well, you can start by keeping away from Mickiyah."

"What?" I said and looked at Gave.

"I-I didn't say anything." He responded.

"Did you hear that?"

"What?" He looked around.

I buried my face in my hands and groaned. "Why is this happening to me!" I shouted.

Gave put his hand around me. "Look, I'm not sure. But don't look for answers. Maybe if you leave it alone, it'll leave you alone too."

"You think?" I asked him.

He smiled and nodded. "It'll be okay," he said in a soft voice. We hugged. I felt so entirely grateful to have a friend like him.