23| Keep fighting

The next morning, I head to my secret beach for another session of moping, before I remember that moping isn't the answer. Sitting around and accepting my fate isn't the answer–or in my nature. Jordan hasn't sold the cafe yet, which means there's still time to fix this, somehow. Some way that he can get the money he needs without having to sell the cafe.

I spend the majority of breakfast eating the waffles Lexi made while begging my dad to buy the cafe. It's sunnier this morning, so the patio doors are open and a gentle breeze is passing through the kitchen, ruffling my hair about. 

Dad reaches out, scooping a lock of my hair up before it gets stuck to my syrup-covered waffles. "Do you think I'm made of money?" he asks. "I can barely afford my own business."

I sigh and say, "What if we bought half? Or even a quarter? That would be enough money for Jordan to have in his pocket, and he'd still get to keep the cafe."

"And how long would a quarter last him?" Dad asks. "When that quarter runs out, what is he going to do? He'll be in the same position." 

"It would last him until we get the cafe back on its feet," I say. "Fix all the problems, switch up the decor, revamp the menu. People will come running again." 

Dad sighs and rubs his temples. "Evvy, you should be thinking about starting college in a few weeks, not this. Have you even prepared anything? Lexi said you were barely interested during your trip to the mainland. I really wish you would put all this behind you and start focusing on your future." 

I finish off my orange juice and get to my feet. "This is mom," I say, looking at him. "This cafe was her, Dad. We can't just let it go." 

He shakes his head, his eyes taking on this far-off look that sits somewhere between despair and desperation. "No," he says, looking back at me, "it wasn't. The Big Fish cafe is just a place, Evvy, a place she loved to visit, but still just a place. Your mother is you, and your sister, and everything she wanted for you both. It's you living up to your full potential and going on to do great things. That's your mother." 

My throat starts to burn, and my eyes tear up. He's right, I know he is, but I'm not ready to let this cafe go. "I'm not giving up yet," I say, grabbing my bag. "Not until I've tried everything." 

I don't wait for his response, I just walk out onto the patio and grab my bike before cycling to the cafe. I allow my mind to wander as I ride, first to the cafe, and ways I can save it, and then to Jordan.

Despite knowing I shouldn't be, I can't stop thinking about him. Can't stop thinking about kissing him. In the moments where I can forget that he's selling the cafe, I start thinking about the sound of his voice, and the way he smiles, and the way he makes me laugh.

If it wasn't for this dire situation, I think he'd be the perfect guy. And while I'm mad at the situation, I can't bring myself to be mad at him. It's his cafe, not mine, and he needs the money –what else is he supposed to do?

I sigh and focus on the scenery instead, allowing it to calm me. The ocean always looks lighter at this time, more of a turquoise blue, and I resist the urge to throw down my bike and go running into the water. 

There seem to be more tourists on the island than usual. They walk the streets like their eyes are closed, and I swerve around several of them to avoid a collision. But I'm happy they're here: more tourists mean more business for the cafe–it needs all the help it can get. 

I get to the cafe and chain up my bike before finding my usual booth by the window. Lina rushes over and hugs me before filling me in on the gossip: different buyers have been here all morning, scoping the place out. My stomach sinks. Jordan moves quickly.