Chapter 5

I wake up, hearing my alarm going off. I roll over and realize that I'm late for school, or at least I will be if I don't hurry up.  I never wake up late. I always go to bed at a decent time, and always get up with no issues. But last night I tossed and turned, a lot. I don't know why either.  Nothing I can think of can explain it.  Regardless, my lack of deep sleep is already impacting me. Hurrying to get dressed I slip on some leggings, boots, and a shirt of my dad's. I'm sure I look frumpy but who cares, I never look fantastic anyway.  I'm comfortable and out the door.  That's all that matters.

Luckily, I am able to slip into homeroom with no issues from Mrs. Farrow and the day goes pleasantly smooth after that. Nothing happens today and only the Goddess knows how thankful I am for that.  Once school gets out, I head to work.  Luckily since I work int he back, no one really cares what I wear.  That means I don't have to bother with stopping at home to change.

I wave at Thomas on the way in and start walking toward the storeroom, but he stops me. "There is a big wig coming by today who has been looking at a lot of area businesses. Seems like he's interested in the area and is scoping it out.  Word is that he might make some major investments if he likes what he sees! He's been taking tours of the area to see if we fit his style, I guess. The teller at the bank told me that he would likely be around and a I got a call from his secretary who said he'd be here within the next few hours!" He's overly giddy about this. "Isn't that exciting?  Our little town may be getting a bit bigger." Yup giddy is the perfect word.

He continues to go on and on about the other businesses that have been visited and how lucky he was that our small-town grocer made 'the list'.  The teller must have let off some serious gossip, because he starts going on about how this 'big wig' just reeks of money.  Thomas isn't easily bought, but he does like the idea of our town prospering more.

"Sounds pretty cool. I'll stay in the back when they're here, I don't want to get in anyone's way." I smile at him, so he thinks that I'm just shy and don't want any attention. That's partially true at least.  I'm not shy with people I trust, but I really don't want any attention.

"You know you don't have to. You're the hardest worker I've ever seen, I'd have no problem telling anyone that and showing you off.  In fact, that might be a good idea, get your face out there.  Networking you know?"

"NO!"  Shit.  Back-peddle! Back-peddle! "I mean, I'm not into spotlight and I'm looking at collages out of the area anyway. I appreciate the thought but there's no need to showcase me."  Think girl, get out of this.  "I mean, look, I'm not even dressed for this kind of thing.  I'd be embarrassed and feel like I wasn't showing the right image." Please don't do anything stupid Thomas.

"Okay, okay. I'll let you hide away in that cold back room.  All alone. With no one to talk to."  He looks sad about this, like he was going to show me off as a trophy or something.  I'm no trophy.

I quickly thank him, then run back to the storeroom and get started on organizing everything that came in today. Thinking back to our conversation, it makes sense the way that Alpha Meiers' visit has been explained to the humans. That way the Alpha can get a full tour and at the same time, there's nothing odd or eye catching about it. I mean, how else would you explain some well-dressed (I assume) man with an entourage running all around him like he was the most important think in their lives. Businessman—perfect. Investment interests—all businesses open to review. And if treaties are expanded, there would likely be growth in town, matings and all.  So, it really fits perfectly.

If it wasn't for the fact that Chase and Jace would definitely find out, I would probably have taken Thomas up on his offer.  Treaties between packs allow for easier pack transfers too.  If I didn't get into a school I wanted, I could always look at a pack transfer to get the hell away from here.