Chapter-3

The eerie silence that prevailed was nerve-wracking. The wind blew gently, rustling the leaves. Crystal stayed glued to the forest ground as she watched Xavier pace around, his perfectly styled hair now a mess. His tuxedo coat abandoned on the ground, the sleeves of his button-down rolled up.

The word 'Mate' still ringed in Crystal's ears, her brain a frenzy. The only thought that intrigued her was "how could the Moon Goddess pair a human and a werewolf?"

In her nineteen years of stay in the Lunar Eclipse Pack, she hasn't come across a single person who was mated to a human or has heard of it. Rather, it was believed to be taboo.

Xavier's pacing was making her anxious as she waited for his reaction. His stare alone could make her cower in fear. But it wasn't the same when they were kids. Until the age of thirteen Crystal and Xavier were close to each other, despite the age gap of three years; one could always find the two playing and pranking their siblings and friends. They were collectively known as 'The Crew' comprising Xavier, Crystal, Carla, Jake, Aiden, Gemma and Ellie. It all changed when Xavier turned sixteen and shifted for the first time. He avoided Crystal and slowly they grew apart. The eyes that once reflected care for her now shined with hatred. He treated her like a pest. He stopped hanging out with the crew just because they refused to leave Crystal alone. Only Aiden followed him out but hung out with the rest from time to time.

"Was anyone else here?" Xavier's sudden voice startled Crystal.

"No"

"This makes little sense. How?" Xavier started to parade again.

Crystal heard him mumbling to himself, assuming he was talking to his wolf out loud as she left him be. A sense of calmness surrounded her. She felt sleepy as an involuntary yawn left her mouth, catching Xavier's attention. With raging eyes he stomped towards her, yanking her up by her hands, his fingers digging into her skin surely to form a bruise later. Light sparks erupted from where their skin touched, compelling Xavier to plunk her arm as if it was on fire.

"I waited for so long only to be punished like this." Xavier massaged his temples.

He was unaware of the impact his words had, Crystal's blood boiled in anger. 'He spoke as if she was a lowlife.'

"Excuse me, punished?" asked Crystal, her voice dripping with mockery which Xavier failed to understand. "As if I am ecstatic about being mated to you." She added.

"Ah, right, as if you're not elated at the thought of being my mate, being the Luna of the most powerful pack."

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am not at the very least delighted to be mated to you. Who would even be delighted to be the mate of the biggest jerk alive?" Crystal jabbed her finger at Xavier.

This seemed to anger his wolf. His eyes glowed with an orangey hue. Before Crystal could analyze the situation, she felt a pair of lips on her. His calloused lips moved aggressively against her soft ones. Xavier poured all his hatred and anger into the kiss, leaving Crystal breathless and broken. Her dainty hands pushed against his chest trying to stop him but he clasped her by the waist pulling her body to touch his. Hot tears trailed down her face as he continued to manhandle her lips. The kiss slowly turned less aggressive, Xavier's hand travelled to Crystal's face caressing her cheeks gently. Detaching his lips from her, Xavier looked at Crystal, his eyes filled with love. Their moment was interrupted by the sudden footsteps coming their way.

Letting go of Crystal hurriedly, Xavier picked up his coat, "Not a word to anyone." He directed towards Crystal before disappearing into the shadows. Crystal stood there looking at the place where Xavier disappeared.

Crystal heaved out a heavy sigh. She looked back at the moon and did a silent prayer. Her feet then slowly walked away from the stream and trudged through the previous path. Her mind was numb, she wasn't sure how she should react. She wasn't delighted with being Xavier's mate, but his words pricked an old wound.

Reaching the training grounds, she saw everyone seated inside the gazebos enjoying their meals. She passed them in search of her family when she caught sight of Xavier and Carol sucking each other's face against a tree away from everyone's eye. Tears welled up in her eyes as a low sob left her lips. She hastily turned around to leave when she collided with someone. The person steadied her. Looking up, Crystal saw Aiden giving her a worried look.

"Are you alright?" Aiden asked.

Crystal gave a small nod, unable to form words. She pushed past Aiden walking towards the parking, ready to leave this disaster party.

"Wait. Where are you going?" Aiden pulled her by the wrist.

"Home."

"Let me drive you back," Aiden said, following Crystal as she increased her pace.

"No-"

"Let me drive you back if you consider me as your friend." He interrupted whatever Crystal was about to say.

Crystal reluctantly agreed. She would not lose a friend over her anger at Xavier. The drive back was silent, with the music playing on a low volume. Aiden hummed along with the song under his breath while Crystal leaned against the window, lost in her thoughts.

Crystal wished her best friend Carla was here, she was the 'mom friend' who always knew how to handle grave situations and gave intellectual advice. Carla was staying with her grandmother for the past two months in another pack. Her grandmother lived alone and was sick, so Carla is staying with her until she recovers.

Reaching the Jones's house, Aiden killed the engine, "Thank you." Crystal said before stepping out and walking towards the porch.

"Hey, Crys," Aiden called, causing her to turn around. "If you ever need me to punch someone, you know where to find me." He added with a wink.

"Yes, Sir." Crystal threw a fake salute at him, smiling.

"And keep smiling, it suits you." With that said, he revved back out of the drive, his car disappearing in the distance.

Smiling to herself, Crystal entered the house and headed up to her room. The full moon illuminated the room through the open window, the breeze ruffling the curtains. Standing by the window Crystal looked at the starry sky thinking back to the event in the forest.

"Why me? I wish this was all a dream." She said. Taking shallow breaths, she backed into the room and changed into her pyjamas.

Laying there wrapped in the warm duvet, she couldn't help but think of reasons for Xavier to hate her. The guy that once protected her from all odds suddenly started hating her for no apparent reason. Amidst all these thoughts, sleep overcame her body.

Along the night, she felt a hand caress her face. A familiar smell invaded her senses, leaving a ghost of a smile on her lips.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to vote and comment.