Chapter 1: The Assessment

Chapter 1:

Lulu didn't get much sleep. She was far too excited about the job. When she got out of bed the next morning, her sisters were sitting at the table and Rena was talking to Mira about the job. Mira's face looked like she was skeptical about it. "Mira and I were talking about it and I guess it can't hurt to fill out the application," Rena said shrugging her shoulders. She shuttered when she saw Mira pick up a glass of milk and take a swallow. God! How do people drink that nasty stuff, she pondered. Oh well, it's not as bad as coffee. She hated the taste of milk, but she hated coffee even more. Even the smell of it was nauseating.

Lulu poured herself a cup of coffee. "Want some?" she asked Rena jokingly. Rena turned her nose up away from the foul substance that her younger sister loved oh so much. Lulu looked at her and they both started laughing.

"How 'bout we go fill out the application now." Lulu suggested. Mira and Rena stood up from the table and followed Lulu into the study room. Lulu sat in the chair directly in front of the computer and her sisters sat on either side. She pulled up the website and they all took turns filling out the application. They got an email about an hour afterwards that read: "We have performed the necessary background check and have considered employing you. However, there is a final assessment that you must pass that will determine whether or not you will be qualified. We have purposely left this out of the ad. You will meet at 356 Abram Drive. You are expected to be there @2:00 p.m."

After they read the email, they looked at the time. It was already 12:45 in the afternoon. Lulu and Rena were still in their pajamas and hurried to get ready. Mira rolled her eyes at the sight of her two sisters rushing like always. I'll never understand why they don't just get dressed in the mornings; they always wait until we're going somewhere. She thought. In the meantime, while they were getting ready, Mira looked at the map that was attached to the email. Wow! This place is just a few miles away. Not that far at all really. She thought as she looked at it.

Lulu and Rena were finally dressed and ready to go. Before leaving, Mira printed the map; just in case they needed it. "Where are you girls off to?" Their dad asked as they were rushing out the door. "We're off to see the wizard!" Lulu shouted out happily. They all just looked at her for a second and she grinned. Mira looked at her dad. "We applied for a job." She announced. Before he could protest, they were out the door.

When they finally arrived at the address, they looked up to see that they were standing in front of a huge mansion. Their eyes got wide and their jaws practically dropped to the ground. "Close your mouths girls, you're going to catch flies," they heard a snobby sounding voice. The girls looked at the front door and saw a small girl standing in the door way. Bloom was her name. She was 14; had wavy, silver hair and light blue eyes. She appeared so proper and looked so innocent, except for the smug look on her face.

Lulu approached her first. "Hello. We're here for..." she began but was cut off by Bloom. "The assessment;" she sneered, "I know." She opened the door wide for them and glared as they walked in.

As soon as the girls walked inside, they were mesmerized by the beautiful place that they had just stepped into. They didn't feel worthy enough to even look at anything. There was a huge crystal chandelier, hanging from the ceiling and all the plants were in beautiful, hand painted vases and pots. There was a red loveseat, a chair, and an antique looking coffee table against the wall on the far side of the room, in front of a window cover with red, gold-trimmed curtains, and the walls were decorated with antique looking weapons. Everything was so gorgeous, so elegant.

"Mr. Wellington will be with you...," she started and then paused, glancing at them, "girls... in a few moments." They watched her walk up the stairs and disappear into one of the rooms. Rena scowled once the girl was gone. "Well, she's pretty, but she's not very nice." She sneered.