16

I walked into my office feeling angry. I hated Mondays. Always have, always will. Who even had the idea of making Monday a week day? Ugggh. I dropped bag and car key on my table and slumped into my chair. I quickly scanned Mr Chikwem's schedule and seeing he had his doctor's appointment planned for today, I couldn't help but wonder if he's fine. I dug my bag for my phone and when I found it, I dialed his number and he picked.

"Good morning sir" I greeted.

"Good morning. You sound dull. Are you okay?" He asked and I smiled. I don't know when last my parents realized I sounded dull.

"It's Monday. I'm supposed to be dull" I replied and he laughed

"Oh. Okay" he replied. I could definitely hear him smile.

"You have your doctor's appointment by 10 o'clock. You told me it wasn't anything serious. Are you lying to me?" I asked

"No. I'm taking Doris. Her blood pressure is high so I might not be coming in today but if I do, I'll be coming in late" he answered and I felt bad for not being able to visit them.

"Can you please give her the phone let me talk to her?" I asked.

"Kaima. My baby how are you doing?" Doris gushed and I smiled. Her voice is so soft and calm.

"I'm fine mum. I hope you are okay? I'm sorry I haven't come around in a while. I'll try to come okay?" I reassured and she sighed.

"It's okay love. I blame this man. Never giving you breaks" she replied

"She rejected the day off I gave her last week" I heard Mr Chikwem say in the background

"Only a day off? She is stressed. Give her more than one day" Doris complained.

I knew this conversation wasn't ending anytime soon if Mr Chikwem kept trying to prove himself

"We can't afford more than a day off. But she rejected it" he replied

"You force her to take it. That's how it works." his wife said and he replied with an ohhh.

Oh well, it ended quite fast.

"You should come home often okay?" she asked knowing I refer to her home as mine.

"I will. Please be fine" I pleaded

"I will be. Bye" she replied and I ended the call.

I started sorting all the files on my table including the hotel that was recently purchased. I and Chizi were supervising it's renovations as it was ongoing. I was supposed to go to the hotel by 1pm as the contractor gave some complaints. I cancelled all the boss's appointment today. I quickly did all I had to do as I planned to go home from the hotel.

Around 12pm, I was done so I decided to rest a little. I brought out my earphones and connected it to my phone, then to my ear and started playing music. I leaned back in my chair and closed my eyes as something better by Johnny Drille blasted in my earphones. I felt myself to drift off into oblivion. I felt a tap on my shoulder. I slowly opened my eyes to see Ralph staring back at me.

He has been everywhere lately and I wonder why.

"Hi" I drawled out as I sat up and he sat down

"Are you okay?" He asked looking concerned.

"Yes I am" I replied

"You sure?" He asked

"Yes. Why?" I asked

"I didn't see you at the shoot and I came in to see you sleeping here. Are you sure you are okay?" He asked