21

It was the D day. My wedding day. Well actually it was planned that today being Friday would be my white wedding and tomorrow being Saturday would be my traditional wedding. My mum wanted to combine the both ceremonies together but I vehemently refused. I didn't want to do that.

It is stressful as hell.

The girls were chatting with each other. My bridal train were either dancing or talking loudly and at intervals trying to get me to discuss with them but I didn't have the will to join them. I hated the fact that I was getting married today. I hated the fact that I'm sacrificing my happiness for my mum's and most importantly, I hated my mum. I couldn't even host a bridals shower and my friends were wondering why. Last night, I cried in the arms of Chizi and Maria. They kept telling me that everything would turn out well but I couldn't believe them. I had signed my fate and said yes to a loveless marriage so what was I expecting? I finally stopped crying so that I wouldn't give the make up artist a lot of work but it seems like she still got the work. My face was swollen and my eyes were puffy. Right now, the makeup artist was beating my face up in order to cover up the fact that I cried through out the night. At some point she asked why I cried, that I was supposed to be happy that I was marrying the man of my dreams and went on to keep saying that she wish she was in my shoes. How happy she would be. Chizi made a joke telling her that we wont wear the same shoe size and we laughed over it. If only she knew that I was pressured into this marriage. I prayed for her to never be in my shoes. I wouldn't wish anybody this type of shoe I am wearing. I kept moving as she applied what ever she was applying on my face but she couldn't complain because apparently, Johnson's mum paid her a lot. I kept wondering what today had in stalk for me.

My mind drifted off to Ralph. We had settled our differences. He said he would get over me but I didn't want him to. That was selfish of me but I couldn't help but want him to keep loving me. We went back to our cheerful banter but sometimes it seemed strained or forced. We were trying our best to go back to how it used to be but the drift was already there. I was pulled out of my thoughts when my hair was pulled.

These fuckers just want to injure me. My scalp hurts.

Johnson's mum had made sure I made my hair to her taste. Apparently, I needed to look like someone who could pass as her daughter-in-law. I miss myself. I miss being me. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes looking into the mirror, I saw the hair stylist doing her job with a frown on her face. Maybe she didn't like me or the fact that my face was emotionless on my wedding.

The door opened to reveal my mum and Johnson's mum.

"Ada bekem, nwa amuru amu, (beautiful daughter, a child well born), my baby" my mum praised me as she came to stand beside me.

I rolled my eyes as the hair dresser pinned the last of my hair.

"You look gorgeous my dear" Johnson's mum complimented as she placed a hand on my shoulder

I felt like shrugging her hand off but since I have pretended this far, a little more pretense wouldn't hurt a soul. I smiled widely, and looked at her through the mirror

"Thank you ma" I replied

"You are welcome. All these girls I called did a good job. I'm sure you would look fabulous in your wedding dress. I never make a wrong choice." She bragged.

I felt like punching her straight on her nose and on her left eye and make sure she doesn't see with that eye again. But instead, I smiled at her.

"Ahh. Have you taken pictures? You should take some pictures. Let me call your sisters so that they can come and take some pictures with you" my mum suggested