Chapter 1: It's Time To Leave.

B E C C A

"Mother, if you think I'm going uproot my entire life here just to move to some goddamn invisible small town, you have gone bonkers."

"Becca! Do not speak to me like that! I'm your mother..."

"Well, do not force me to move out of the city I grew up in." I scoff. "I'm not leaving San Jose. I have spent my entire seventeen years here, in these streets, I am a surfer, and I am pretty sure I won't be able to do surfing in some stupid small town in Minnesota."

The neighbours are listening to us arguing and screaming, but it's nothing new. They must be used to it, just like I am.

I was five when my father abandoned us. I used to cry and wait up, but he never returned. I had no one to care for me. I had to learn everything on my own, got part-time jobs, studied and cleaned the house, and all this while, I've seen my mother ruin her life by partying all night every night, and she is promiscuous as hell.

My mother promised to improve, and like a naive child, I believed her.

"Becca, sweetie, try to understand. I'm not..."

I shake my head and sigh.

Not anymore.

"I don't care, mother. It was your fault that you were drunk for the nineteenth time on your job and got fired. Find another and try not to be drunk this time." I cry in her face. She looks away, ashamed as she should be. She's the mother yet acts like a spoiled brat.

My mother sighs miserably.

"Becca, you really need to understand." I scoff and cross my arms as she looks at me. "I already bought a house. The town is quaint and just the right place to start over...."

I roll my eyes at my mother and then notice my little sister peeking. Her big brown eyes beam with innocence, and she tightly grasps her chair in fear.

Aria isn't my biological sister, but I met her at the local adoption centre. I felt terrible. When I visited her, this baby looked over at me with her big eyes and held onto my finger with her hand; I knew what I had to do.

As an eleven-year-old, I convinced my alcoholic mother to adopt this cute baby into our family.

However, it's been seven years now, and even though this little girl is the most important person in my life, and I completely adore her, I feel furious at myself and guilty about bringing her into this family.

"Becca? Sweetie?"

I blink when my mother is about to place her hand on my shoulder. I swat it away and glare at her.

Dejected, my mother withdraws and clasps her hands.

I take this opportunity and notice how tired she looks, with deep dark circles and bags under her eyes, and the colour grey has become prominent in her unkempt, stinky brown hair.

Would you believe me when I tell you this same woman used to be Miss California for three consecutive years, huh?

I scoff.

Well, Zenna Simmons is nothing but a useless alcoholic mother.

"Sweetie, please! We can't afford to live here. I have so little savings. We should leave!"

"I don't care, mother! You never even tried to be a part of our life, so don't you dare ask me to go out with you. I am more than capable of taking care of Aria and myself. So been doing this all my life." I clench my fists, "So, yeah, I won't leave... especially not with you." I snap.

I stomp off and shut the door of my bedroom with a Bang!

I scream.

Pissed.

Rage.

Frustration.

Sorrow.

I begin to sob.

***

Chocolates and movies are the best way to distract yourself. I eat almost everything from my secret stash under the bed. My eyes are puffy, and my face is red.

I do not wish to look at that woman's face.

I roll my eyes and grunt when the door creaks open. I look over at the door, and Aria peeks in.

"Hey!" I say.

Aria enters. "Can I be with you, Becki?" she walks toward me and mumbles, "Mommy started drinking again...."

I open my arms wide and let her in a hug. I caress her head and whisper, "Of course, little angel! You don't have to ask me."

I place Aria on my lap and resume my movie, but it's an animated movie, not horror. Thank God!

Aria cuddles, and I breathe out, and my mother gives no shit how negatively this is going to affect her. That's when she hugs me tightly.

"Riri? What happened?" I ask.

Aria purses her lips and shrugs, "I am sorry. You and mom fight, and I don't like it. You go through a lot..."

In need of comfort and warmth, I hug her tightly.

"It's not your fault. You don't need to apologise. Just be happy and let me worry...."

Boop! I playfully boop her on the nose, and she giggles. I then peck her forehead and smile back at her. I run my fingers through her hair and exclaim, "C'mon, let me do your hair. How about fishtail braids, huh?" Aria giddily nods, and I briefly laugh. I make her hair and glance at the digital clock ten minutes later. "Ooo, it's past your bedtime...."

"Okay!" Aria mumbles with a yawn.

I pick Aria in my arms, she is so tiny, and I smile when she cutely yawns again.

That's when she mumbles, "Becki. I want to...."

Huh? I blink at her in confusion.

"I want to... go."

And then Aria falls asleep.

Why?

I place her on her bed.

I frown.

I tuck her in and look at her.

Why did she say that? I tightly purse my lips.

Is she not happy here?

It doesn't matter.

I shake my head and then pull a blanket over her tiny body.

I blink and whisper, "Well, if you say so..." I leave a peck and smile. "If you want to, we'll leave, little angel."

^^^

*my character inspiration for Becca - is Josephine Langford (most know her from the After movie series)