Chapter 18

I looked through the glass into the interrogation room. Fredrick sat in front of the table, fidgeting with the handcuffs. He eyes flickered around the bare room.

Police stopped by Fredrick's house to interview him once again because the ripper case went cold. When the two detectives didn't report back, Jack Crawford sent police to Fredrick's home. Alana and Hannibal didn't tell me much but what I do know is that, the detectives were close to sniffing out of that Fredrick was the Ripper. He panicked and murdered the two. Police later found him running away from the scene in the woods behind his house. He was captured and brought into custody.

No games, no tricks. The Ripper is finally caught.

Fredrick lifted his head as he heard Alana walk into the room.

Almost every agent was crammed into the observation room. Everyone wanted to see the Chesapeake Ripper for themselves.

Alana's heels clicked against the hard floor. She sat across Fredrick. She stayed silent. She waited from him to speak.

"I didn't do it." He pleaded while leaning forward.

"Why did you kill those two detectives?" Alana asked.

"I didn't! Please, Alana, believe me! You have the wrong guy!" Fredrick begged.

"Bastard is still trying to deny it?!" A agent standing to my right asked in frustration.

"He's a smart son of a bitch. He's angling for 'I did it but I don't remember' plea. If he's lucky and the jury buys it then he'll spend the rest of his days in a fancy smancy mental hospital." An agent standing behind me said.

"Could he really do that?" I asked.

"If he plays his cards right."

My attention was drawn back to the interrogation room when I heard Fredrick smack the table.

"God Damnit Alana! You know I'm innocent! I'm being framed!"

"Fredrick, Blood was found all over your clothes, evidence from other murders were found on your property, and for Christ sake two dead bodies were found in your house!" Alana said.

"Alana, I know this looks bad but you've got to believe me."

"Everyone out" Jack Crawford demanded. Agents filed out of the observation room. When it was my turn to leave Jack stopped me. "Please stay."

After Jack walked in, followed three agents and Miriam Lass.

"Miriam" I looked at her shocked. Miriam was the Ripper's only victim that made it out alive. She remembers the Ripper's voice. That's how she eliminated Hannibal and Will from being suspects.

"Miriam requested that you're here." Jack clarified.

"But what is Miriam here for?"

"She has agreed to identify whether or not Fredrick is the Ripper."

"But you already have so much evidence against Fredrick. You don't need to put Miriam through this."

"It'll help in court plus Miriam volunteered to do this." Jack said.

I looked at Miriam and she nodded. Miriam stood in front of the glass. I stood by her side with one of the agents on the other side of her.

Alana asked Fredrick another question. "Both of the agents found at your house were missing their lungs and heart. Why did you take those organs and where are they now?"

"Oh God! I would never do that. I would never do any of this!"

I looked at Miriam. Her eyes went wide.

"T-That's him." She couldn't take her eyes off of Fredrick. Fear filled her entire being.

Before anyone could stop her, she reached into one of the the agents' hostler. She pulled out his gun and fired it through the glass at Fredrick.

The ringing of the gun echoed in my ears. Glass flung at me and bit my skin. I felt Jack grab me and pull me to the ground but it was already too late. Pieces of glass were deeply lodged into my skin.

Someone took the gun from Miriam and cuffed her. Jack helped my up and I looked through the glassless window at Fredrick. His head hung back with a hole through his face. A spray of red and chunks of brain laid on the wall behind him. I wanted to throw up. My head felt light. Jack was yelling something at me but sounds were distorted. Everything was spinning. I blinked and the next thing I know, I was being wheeled into a hospital on a stretcher.

There was so much blood. Hannibal was covered in blood. When did Hannibal get here? Was the blood mine? I tried to swallow but I felt a pain in my neck. More blood started to come out.

There was so much yelling and bright lights. My whole body hurt. I was in so much pain. My vision got spotty. I tried to look for Hannibal but I couldn't see him. Strangers were standing over me with metal tools. It hurts so much. My vision went black.

I slowly opened my eyes. My throat ached. I tried to scratch it but my arm was pulled back. I turned to see the tube and wires connected to my arm and chest. I couldn't bend my left arm. The IV tube made every movement painful.

"Don't move." Hannibal gently rested my arm on the bed. He coaxed my head back to the pillow. He pushed loose strands of hair behind my ear.

"How long have I been here?"

"A week."

I gasped and launched myself in an up right position. But the pain quickly laid me back down. "I have work!"

"Don't worry. I took care of it." Hannibal stroked my face. He played with my hair while I rested my eyes. But I stirred when I heard a knock on the hospital room door.

"Ms. (L/n)?" A doctor asked while letting himself into the room.

"Yes." It was the first time after waking up I noticed how horrid my voice was. It sounded cracked and strained.

"I'm glad to see you're awake." He said while flipping through papers he held on a clipboard.

"My name's Dr. Anderson. I'm sure you have lots of questions. I'll explain everything but first, may I take your pulse?" I nodded.

He pulled aside my hospital gown and placed his stethoscope on my chest. Slightly touching the top part of my breast. As I was holding Hannibal's hand I felt his grip on my hand tighten. He stared at the doctor. When he finished he hung the stethoscope around his neck.

"A bullet was shot through glass. That glass shattered and slightly punctured your carotid artery." He rubbed the side of his neck. "That vein would be right around here." He continued. "We rushed you into surgery and repaired the puncture. We also removed remaining glass shards."

Memories came flooding back. Mariam killed the Chesapeake Ripper. Fredrick Chilton.

"Normally people with Carotid artery punctures don't make it. But you were incredibly lucky. The puncture site was smaller than a sewing needle. However you did lose lots of blood. We had to give you a transfusion. So expect to feel sluggish and weak."

It was so much to take in. I looked at Hannibal. He forced out a smile. On the outside he appeared so stoic yet I could tell he was hurt.

"After the surgery I wanted to take a ultrasound of the areas that required the most glass removal. Just to make sure there was no glass we missed." He paused. "When doing this we discovered that you are pregnant."

I froze. What?

~~~

Thanks for being patient while I was on hiatus. Will be posting every Sunday again. Remember to vote!