Chapter 1

"The Survivor" is book #2 of the Maya Series. Go read "The Victim" first if you want to know what's happening here and who these people are! 

Thank you for your votes, comments, and messages! Enjoy!

- - - - - - - - - - - 

My heart pounded faster than a train and my thoughts raced through my mind so quickly they were entirely incomprehensible. I clenched my hands into fists and pressed my back against the wall hard, before sliding down to sit on the floor. My heart pounded like it was trying to tell me I was in danger, but there was nothing around; nobody but me. I tried to remember what Charlotte had taught me.

What do you see? I asked myself.

I looked at the now-familiar bedroom and tried to mentally record the traits that I could observe from my spot on the ground. White comforter, cream curtains, the little chip on the wall that had lived here long before me... but my heart was still pounding against my ribs like it was trying to escape my chest. I tried to refocus, instead of screaming. There was a nightstand beside my bed, and a half-empty water bottle stood on top of it.

It wasn't working.

What do you feel?

The thick curls of carpet that my fingers were currently locked in. The hard wall against my back, my knees clacked together as my legs drew in towards my chest.

What do you hear?

I strained to hear down to the first floor of the large house that I was supposed to call home now. I could Damon and someone else arguing... Brooks, I think. Charlotte, their mom- our mom, was trying to mediate.

I bit my cheek until I tasted blood as the thoughts continued to swirl around me. You're not good enough. They don't want you. Nobody does. You were made to be hurt.

What else, Maya?  I screamed internally, over the noise of those other thoughts. What else do you hear?

The sound of the heater kicking in as the California night grew colder. The chime from the clock downstairs as the hour hand hit the 10.

My heart started to slow, and I knew the worst was over, but I continued just to be safe.

What do you taste?

I licked my lips experimentally. The cherry Chapstick I was wearing was the only discernible flavor. Charlotte had picked it up from the drug store for me and left it on my bed only a week ago, the day after the Anders asked to adopt me. We hadn't yet finalized it, of course, but I didn't mind. It wasn't an easy process to be adopted. I would sign as many forms and talk to as many agents as it took to join this family.

I took a deep breath and nearly cried in relief as the panic completely slipped away.

The attacks were coming more frequently and powerfully than ever, but I was getting better at stopping them.

A knock on the door came suddenly and I stood up, brushing any remnants of tears off of my cheeks with the back of my hand.

"Come in!" I said in a croaking voice that was supposed to sound confident.

The door opened softly, and I knew it was Caleb before I saw his blond head poke in and face me.

"You coming downstairs, My? We're going to watch a movie I think." Caleb asked.

I smiled and tried not to show him that my legs were still shaking.

"Sure. What movie?" I asked, trying to put feeling into my voice. It was nearly impossible to do when I didn't have any.

"We didn't pick without you! The guys aren't that heartless." He said immediately, before his face scrunched up in thought. I could tell he was considering the times that his three older brothers had been exactly that heartless. We smiled at each other in mutual fondness before he closed the door and left.

"Come down when you're ready!" he called as he went downstairs.

I walked to my mirror and tried widening my brown eyes and smiling genuinely. It looked artificial, but I was almost positive they wouldn't be able to tell. With a quick sigh, I left my bedroom and headed downstairs.