Chapter 51

I woke up and fumbled in the dark for my phone as a shudder ran through me. When had I fallen asleep? Where was I? Home, or there?

When my fingers grazed my cell, I brought it to my chest and flipped on the flashlight before scanning my room. The night was silent, and nothing was amiss. Nobody was here except for me.

 I checked the time and saw that it was only 2 am. I also had an unread text from Dominic.

It read: "Remember the rule! No waking up and getting presents before 7 am." 

I checked when the text was sent and saw that it was just under an hour ago. Would he still be up?

I texted him quickly, asking if he was awake. I waited in the dark and felt my breathing and heart rate speed up. I whimpered to myself and pulled the blankets higher over my body, praying it would go away.

Go away, bad thoughts. Maya isn't here right now. Please go away.

My phone buzzed with a new text and my heart leaped as I read it.

"Yes. Why are you up??" 

Instead of texting a response, I jumped out of bed and started walking down the hall to his room.

I wrapped on the door three times in rapid succession. 

"My?" I heard Dom whisper quietly from inside. I twisted the knob and entered the room slowly, praying that Dominic slept with clothes on. I poked my head in as he sat up and was relieved to see a large T-shirt and shorts covering a very sleepy Dominic. He flicked on the lamp beside his bed and blinked at me.

I ran over to him without speaking and jumped next to him in bed, grabbing him tightly around his waist. He froze for a moment before securing his arms around me and whispering to me in words that I couldn't quite make out. I realized I was still shaking, but my breathing was starting to calm.

"It's okay, sweetheart. You're safe. Can you tell me what happened?" he asked.

"He hurt me," I choked out in a whisper. I squeezed him tighter and burrowed my face into his side further, wishing I never had to leave.

"Memory or dream, baby?" he asked, rubbing my back with his hand.

"Memory," I whispered almost unintelligibly. He immediately pulled me in closer and my eyelids started to droop as my breathing matched his. He took big, long breaths in and let them go slowly. My head fell on his chest, and I tried not to be embarrassed that I needed my big brother to fall asleep. 

"I'll keep the monsters away, baby. Go to sleep." He said when I jerked a little and checked that the door was still shut.

"Even uncle?" I asked sadly, forgetting myself.

"Even your uncle." He replied, shushing me, and rocking his body slightly.

I wanted to tell him how much that meant to me, but with the slow movement and sound of his deep voice, I couldn't keep myself from nodding off. I fell into a dream almost immediately.