Chapter 44

At the end of the week, things had calmed down for all of us. I was driving with the boys to school like I normally did, although conversation between Damon and I was still strained. The others tried to fill the gaps in conversation, but the ice between us was just getting worse.

After nearly a week of awkwardness, it was our last day of classes before vacation began. The school day was shorter than usual because we were just testing today. By noon, we were finished and free to go home for winter break.

After my last class period, I said goodbye to my friends and went to wait by the car a little early. I was leaning against it when it began beeping. I jolted until I realized that Damon was just unlocking it.

"Hey," he said casually, getting into the driver's seat. Since I was first, I got into the passenger seat beside him.

"Hi," I stammered awkwardly, wishing I had preplanned a good conversation topic. He started the car and I hummed gratefully as the AC rushed over us and filled the hot vehicle. It was a startlingly warm day, a pleasant break from the cold skies and chilling breezes that had become commonplace.

"How were your finals?" he asked, without looking my way. He drummed his fingers on the wheel as if he was impatient to leave already.

"Pretty good," I replied. "I think I got good grades this semester but some of the tests were kind of tricky, so we'll see!"

"I'm sure you did great." He said gruffly, eyes still aimed away from me.

Wasn't it just a week ago that we had gone to the movie theater, and he had thrown me over his shoulder jokingly? An idea hit me in seconds. Maybe the way to reclaim this relationship was through teasing as opposed to kindness.

"Did you fail all yours?" I asked mockingly, keeping my voice light.

He picked at his nail with boredom and replied "Maybe." My shoulders slumped in disappointment. I waited for him to say more but the car seemed to be filled with our unsaid words.

"Damon, I can't take it anymore!" I started to say at the same time that he said "Maya..."

"Yes?" I paused and looked up at him, as he turned to give me his full attention. His expression was forlorn.

"I don't know what to say, exactly," he admitted, rubbing his stubble-covered chin, and looking oddly shy.

"It doesn't have to be perfect." I offered, shrugging one shoulder.

He exhaled a deep breath and nodded, chewing on that thought. Finally, he began to speak.

"First, I'm sorry about kicking that guy out of your room." His lips twisted into the semblance of a smile, telling me that he wasn't the least bit sorry. "I didn't mean to scare him."

"You didn't scare him," I argued, straightening up in my seat and inadvertently dropping my backpack off my lap. "Or me."

He raised an eyebrow at that, and I cursed myself for giving away the truth. His smile slipped away, and he looked genuinely remorseful, or serious at the very least. "I didn't mean to scare you either."

I shrugged again, annoyed with myself. Why couldn't I be a good liar?

"Do you know why I did it?" he asked, voice softer than I've heard it before. It was almost frightening how his voice lowered when he was being deliberate.

"W-why?" I stuttered, peering at my hands, and trying to stop my stomach from squirming nervously.

"Any guesses?" he asked playfully. I risked a glance at him to see his mouth in a half-smile half-smirk. My heart rate lowered gratefully.

"You were trying to protect me? You thought he was being... bad?" I asked, trying to make my voice sound like an adult. The words fluttered out of me timidly, ruining the effect.

"I thought that he was taking advantage of you." He agreed as if he were carefully choosing each word.

"He wasn't!" I reassured him, grabbing his arm, and nodding my head eagerly. "We were just... you know." I dropped his arm and tried not to blush.

"I know." He said with a smirk, making me slap his arm.

I heaved out a sigh, remembering how everything had gone down.

"You really didn't have to come in and be all scary," I said flippantly, throwing my hands up and then back down on my lap. His elbow rested on the steering wheel and his face rested against his fist. He gave me a look.

"It's my job to protect you." He said with no-nonsense.

"No, it's not." I refused tenaciously, holding my chin up high. "I can protect myself, thank you very much."

He chuckled, rolling his eyes, and breaking the tension in the car. I smiled at him, and he returned it, sending a wave of peace over me. I was just happy he wasn't mad at me, and that he hadn't told anyone else what he had seen.

"Agree to disagree." He suggested, clicking the unlock button on the car. I hadn't noticed Caleb and Brooks approaching but I saw them exiting the gate of the school now.

"You called me Bella." I blurted out, panicking from the lack of time we had left alone. I was trying not to open a whole can of worms, but I failed miserably. I just had to know why he said it. I couldn't let it go without an answer.

He sighed. I think he hoped that I wouldn't mention that part of our discussion. After a moment of chewing on his lip and considering what to say, he gave in.

"I couldn't be her hero, baby. Can you let me be yours?" he asked, blue eyes looking sadly at mine. I was trapped in his eyes, and I wasn't sure if he expected an answer or not, but I nodded. He gave me a gentle smile that juxtaposed his terrifying demeanor.

"NO MORE SCHOOL!" Caleb cheered as he ripped open the car door and leaped in the seat behind me. He leaned between Damon and me into the front seat to slam his hand on the horn, honking it repeatedly and whooping. Brooks cheered and I laughed as Damon shoved him back and reversed out of our spot.

When we got home, we ran into Dominic in the garage. He looked between Damon and me and seemed pleased in that subtle way of his. He put a hand on my shoulder, stopping me from heading inside with the others. When the door had slammed behind them, he looked at me expectantly.

"Yes, we worked it all out," I said with fake annoyance as if it wasn't a big deal. His eyes brightened and he pulled me in for a hug, before ruffling up my hair and letting me go.

"I knew you guys would figure it out!" he declared, clenching a fist like he just won a trophy.

"Whatever," I said, brushing him off with a smile and heading inside for a snack.

"Just in time for Christmas!" he hollered behind me.