Chapter 31

I don't know how long we sat there.

Minutes...

Maybe hours.

He started with his story, telling me about his abusive mom and what she did to him.

He told me that his father left them when he was just a kid, and his mom wanted a replacement so badly that she took all her rage and pain and desire and gave it to poor Dominic, who was only a boy. He felt disgusted with himself and confused. He thought it was normal because we all do.

It was sexual and emotional abuse, and he thought it was normal.

He accepted the reality that was assigned to the situation because as a child, that is all there is.

There is no defending yourself against that.

There is no gratitude that the abuse made you stronger.

There is just the desire to be whole again, and a seemingly impossible chance that you have the strength to overcome the pain.

Dominic's mom told him it was his fault that his father left. She told him so many things I didn't want to know, but that had to be said out loud to be truly felt. I let him talk until he couldn't say a single word more and then I hugged him until he felt like he could speak again.

I didn't have much to say besides the perpetual chant "It's not your fault. It will be okay."

Eventually, his story finished. He told me how Charlotte had rescued him and how terrified he was that she was going to hurt him too. He confessed that he ran away from the Anders because she hugged him, not knowing that it was crossing the line. He couldn't outrun the feeling of his skin crawling, but he came back. She listened when he told his story. She loved him, even though he hated himself.

"It was years ago. I thought I was fully healed." Dominic said. "And then you told me what happened with Liam and all the feelings came rushing back, and I hated him Maya, but I hated myself more. For being incapable of helping you. For not defending the person I care about more than anyone on this planet."

I squeezed his shoulder and leaned my head against it, not knowing what to say. He let out a huge breath of air and leaned over, his head resting atop mine.

My eyes were wide as I took in his story and tried to see last night from his perspective.

"I should've asked for help-" I said, but he held up a finger, interrupting me.

"Whose fault was it that last night happened?" he asked sternly.

I thought about it. "Liam?" I suggested.

He smiled.

"Who else?" he asked intently, raising an eyebrow. I knew it was a trick question.

"Nobody else. Just him." I said confidently.

"That's right." He said, wrapping an arm around me and pulling me into his side.

"No matter what we could've done, or what we think we should've done, abuse is never the victim's fault." He affirmed.

"Not a victim," I said, as we got back up and began walking inside.

"Hmm?" he asked.

"You're not a victim," I stated, louder this time. "Survivor."

He smiled down at me and I flushed with pride. There wasn't anything I could say to fix what had happened to him, but I could be there for him and love him all the same.

-       -- - - - - - - - - -

I ran inside ahead of Dominic and saw Damon, Brooks, Caleb, and Charlotte all wandering around the kitchen. It looked like they were pretending to be busy, and I wondered if they had been spying on us out of the screen door before...

"Finally!" Damon groaned playfully. "Can we eat now, Mom?"

Charlotte smiled and brought a dish of something over to the dining table.

I walked over to wash my hands, but Damon took a step in front of me, crossing his arms and glaring down at me. If this was my first day in the Anders household, I would have been terrified.

I crossed my arms over my chest and glared back at him.

"What do you want, punk?" I asked like some sort of Disney villain.

Brooklyn laughed and gave my shoulder a squeeze of encouragement as he walked by with silverware. Caleb grinned from ear to ear and paused to watch.

"You mocking me, kid?" Damon asked, his lips betraying him with a hint of a smile. My left leg wobbled a little, but I held my ground and leaned closer.

"Maybe." I taunted. 

"Oh, you're going to regret that!" he threatened.

"You're not as scary as Dominic!" I said quickly, before running away and shooting up the stairs to my room. Damon's eyes widened and he let out a little gasp before taking off after me.

My brothers roared with laughter that Charlotte echoed as Damon chased me around the upstairs and back to the living room. He finally caught me on the sofa and attacked me with tickles, making me shriek with laughter before tapping out.

"Say I'm scarier than Dominic!" Damon warned me, continuing his attack, and making genuine tears fall from my eyes as I giggled.

"Fine, fine! You're scarier than Dom!" I whined, breathing a huge sigh of relief when he stopped. He helped me up and we walked back to the dining room, taking our seats as Charlotte rolled her eyes.

Dominic gave me a look that made me shake my head subtly, reassuring him that I had lied only to save myself from the torture. He smiled, pleased with himself as the feast began.

"Thanks for waiting for us, guys," I said as we began downing the pasta Charlotte had made and I poured myself a cup of Sprite. We never had soda or a fancy meal for lunch. I wondered what the occasion was.

"You were talking for a while out there," Brooks said curiously.

I looked at Dom and we both smiled at each other and nodded at him.

"Gonna tell us what happened?" Caleb asked, bumping me as he reached over my plate for something.

"Mmm... it's kind of just between us." I replied discretely. Dominic continued eating, remaining stoic as ever. Only I noticed the slight redness still circling his eyes.

"You told him he's your favorite, didn't you?" Caleb asked suddenly, frowning adorably in my direction.

"No!" I said immediately.

"Yes you did, you hate us all!" Brooks moaned piteously, smiling at me to show that he was mocking Caleb.

"You're all my favorite! Even Damon!" I said, trying to appease my needy crowd. Charlotte just gave a smirk and Dominic shrugged, pleased that it was obvious.

"What do you mean 'even Damon'?" Damon demanded, leaning over the table and towards me, his eyes like ice.

"Nothing! I just- I love you all!" I said honestly.

"Awww, Maya. We love you too. So much." Caleb said, placated. I let out a sigh and leaned over to hug him.

"Best sister ever." Brooks seconded, to which Damon and Dominic nodded.

"Speaking of..." Charlotte interrupted. "I have some good news."

We all turned to face the head of the table.

"I got the news today. The petition was approved. We have a finalization hearing to attend in January, and then it'll all be done. You'll be a legal member of the family, Maya!" she exulted.

The table flew up in cheers and chanting as we celebrated the good news.

Only one little meeting with a judge, and then I would be all theirs.