01

Present

"You nervous?" Shaun asked Caleb as their car pulled over at the space behind the old boy's dorm.

"No." He turned to Shaun and managed a small smile. "I'm kinda excited, actually. Glad I actually made it in this school."

Shaun sighed. "Of course you are." He felt a small sadness inside his chest.

"Okay, boys! We're here!" Shaun's mom, Martha, chirped.

He moved to the side and opened the door on the right side and went out. Immediately he was greeted by the cold wind like it was welcoming an old friend.

He looked around. It was just like last year. Nothing much changed. The canteen remained open and the circular kiosks still stood. Greenery decorated the mountainous school. This time, there were several vehicles parked on the side of the concrete road and the sky was dark gray; a storm was brewing.

"Ooh. That's cold," he heard Caleb say as he opened the trunk of the car. Shaun moved beside him and looked at luggage filled with their stuff.

Martha patted the trunk cover. "Are you sure you're gonna be okay with this? I think you need help bringing this over to the new dorm."

"I think we're okay," Shaun answered for the both of them. Caleb was a bit more hesitant, but he nodded.

"Alright." She smiled. "I trust you, but if you need any help, I'll be there, alright?"

"Yeah, okay. I'm just. . .excited for this new dorm."

"There's a new dorm?" Caleb cut in, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah. They built it over the summer. It's nicer than the dorm I lived in last year. At least, that's what I saw from the pictures."

Shaun looked past the canteen and to the building behind it. He heard rumors that it was a new academic building. It had most of the labs, but now with more space. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be used until next school year.

"Well, you better get going, then." Martha closed the trunk after they unpacked their stuff. She turned to Caleb. "You go ahead. I have to talk with Shaun here."

"Where?" he asked.

"Just past the girl's dorm across this one." She pointed at the old boy's dorm building. He nodded and disappeared from view.

Once he was gone, she turned to Shaun. "Has Ryan called you yet?"

Shaun looked down. "No. Not since months ago."

She nodded. "He transferred out, right?"

"Yeah. I hope nothing wrong happened to him."

"Me too." She took a deep breath. "But I think you should put that behind you. It's a new school year. We shouldn't linger on the past and look forward to the future."

"But I miss him, Mom," he insisted. "He's been in my mind all the time."

"I know that. But right now, there are other priorities. Like your grades."

He thought about it for a moment. Then he nodded. "You're right." Last year, he had his undivided attention on Ryan that he forgot about his own studies. He almost failed the final exams, but luckily, his boyfriend helped him catch up. "It won't happen again I promise."

She smirked. "It better. Now you should go. Caleb might get lost."

"I know." Then he went to her for a hug. "Thanks."

"No problem. And if anything goes wrong, please tell me."

"I will," he replied as he dragged his luggage away.