chapter six

After the disaster of a luncheon that had just occurred, Diana was more than happy to escape the Queen’s disapproving glares and so when the opportunity to visit the palace library was offer - by the Prince himself - how could she possibly refuse?

Accompanied by her mother as their chaperone, the two wandered through the grand hallways of the palace for no less than half an hour before they arrived at the library.

Diana wasn’t quite sure what she had anticipated but the sight before her eyes as Friedrich opened the doors was beyond all she could have imagined.

The ceiling was painted in one extended image of all the Grecian gods and goddesses on Olympos. The library itself was gold and white and the floor a marble swirl of whites and greys. It was ethereal. Books lined case after case (each ornately engraved with golden floral patterns) and the bookshelves stack up to four flights. Scattered across the room were busts of philosophers and poets, artists and architects.

The room was absolutely silent. A silence which seemed to reflect the heavenly quality that the room possessed. A silence that Diana had not experienced in - well - ever!

To say it took her breath away would not have been to do it justice. It was magnificent. It was a work of art in itself and Diana was in awe.

Her reverie was broken by the Prince, and warm smile on his face at the happiness that had been brought to Diana.

‘Yes’, he thought, ‘She will be the very best princess.’

“I too was in awe when first I saw this beauty.”

“It is marvellous. I am so glad you showed it to me.” Her voice was laced with happiness.

He held out his arm for her. “There is something else I would like to show you. You spoke of wishing to know more about Prussia? There is quite a collection of books here written by our novelists. Perhaps you would like to take some with you?”

Violet, who had been carefully observing the pair throughout the day, was pleasantly delighted at their comparability. She knew that the Queen had hoped to marry Daphne to the Prince, but after seeing the genuine affection which Diana and Friedrich held for each other she was certain that they would be far better suited.

Her only trouble was that she knew the Prince would not make a proposal without the Queen’s consent - she was his guiding force when it came to matrimony and it would be scandalous indeed if he did not listen to her advice.

After much contemplation Lady Bridgerton decided the best way to ensure that all parties were happy was to encourage Daphne’s romance with the Duke of Hastings. They were clearly fond of each other and were an excellent match.

‘If only he would propose to her!’ Thought Violet. ‘That would settle everything.’

But alas, that was not the case, and she knew she would have to do everything in her power to steer the Queen’s attention away from Daphne and onto Diana.

‘What a challenge that will be.’

*****

This is a shorter chapter so I thought I’d upload it at the same time as the previous one.

I have to admit I’m already tired of virtual learning - I simply cannot wait for this all to end!

Best wishes
V x