chapter ten - a journey

True to his word, the very next morning Anthony Bridgerton had sat his sister down in the study and made arrangements for her to make a tour around Greece and Rome

True to his word, the very next morning Anthony Bridgerton had sat his sister down in the study and made arrangements for her to make a tour around Greece and Rome. She was to be accompanied by her former governess Juno Waters, and their cousin Theodore Blake, both of whom she felt entirely comfortable travelling with.

The rest of the Bridgerton family was most distressed by her decision - with the exception of Colin who was simply jealous of Diana’s opportunity to experience these exotic cultures, and Eloise who told her that she had do document everything so that, upon Diana’s return, she might experience the whole affair for herself by reading it.

Violet had been very much disinclined to allow her daughter to ramp about the continent like a rake, however, after a quiet word with Anthony who suggested she might be able to find herself a suitor abroad, she was more accepting of the idea. Provided Diana did not go anywhere without her two companions.

They were to take the carriage along the main road to Dover, where the three would spend the night in an inn before travelling by ship to France.

Upon arrival in France, they would first make a small detour to Paris in order to spend three days with the De Beaufort’s who were old friends of Violet - especially Lady Mariah who was Diana’s godmother.

After spending their time and Parisian galleries, opera houses, theatres, and petit cafes, the trio would continue their journey through France by horse drawn carriage. They would aim to arrive at Nice within the week where a ship would depart taking them around the coast of Spain and through the Rocks of Gibraltar into the Mediterranean Sea.

The vessel was to roughly follow the coast until it reached the Roman Peninsula where is would land at the harbour on Fiumicino. From there it was a short journey by carriage to Rome where they would finally be able to rest and explore the culture Diana so longed to embrace.

Finally escaping the carriage after the extensive journey, having witnessed flowering meadows, fields heavily laden with crops, extravagant stately houses, warm country inns, vile displays of urban poverty, and much, much more, Diana was more than ready to experience the vivacity and beauty of Rome.

“I hope you’re not too exhausted from the journey to go exploring,” Diana glanced at Theodore - Teddy - who had a wicked smirk on his face as he spoke.

Teddy was now twenty years old and still successfully evading the strings of matrimony. He was known throughout London society and beyond for his rampant and continuous marching through the continent. Throughout her time with him Diana had come to the conclusion that Teddy was born in the wrong century. He really would have been better suited to one of Caesar Augustus’ soldiers, or a Grecian nobleman. She pitied him to that extent and knew he would never be happy unless he married someone from the peninsula and lived out his life as if it were still 250BC.

“Do you think so little of me Blake? To suggest that I might have to be confined to my room simply because of a little coach journey? Or is that your excuse for saying that you are too tired?”

“Oh please,” he rolled his eyes and stripped himself of his jacket to reveal an argyle patterned pink and brown waistcoat that suited his complexion perfectly. “I would suggest the Pantheon but I assume you want to see that in all its glory tomorrow?”

“You know me so well,” Diana grinned as she brushed past him toward the door of their apartment. “Come on then,” she called out to him, without even turning back.

Theodore stared after and shook his head at her excitement. He followed after her, briefly checking himself to ascertain that he was presentable to leave the hotel.

Diana had been too tired to take in her surroundings at first, but now she had rehydrated and taken ten minutes to meditate, she felt quite exhilarated.

The hotel had a stately but classical Roman style to it. It was mainly marble and had busts and other artworks spread out throughout the corridors and halls. The intricate details were gold and purple - perfectly fitting for a city of such regal nature. She felt quite at home.

The clock struck seven in the evenings as she rushed through the front entrance and down the steps into the gardens, marvelling at its lustre.

Theodore followed close behind for he knew the dire consequences should he lose sight of her. And, although society was less restricting in the continent, he was aware that should any scandal make its way back to London, he would be more than chastised.

“What do you think?” He did not even need to hear her answer, Diana looked truly content. The golden Sun of the Mediterranean provided her with an angelic quality, even going so far as to turn strands of her hair into wisps of gold. He hoped she gained some colour during their travels, indeed, in that moment Theodore Blake made it his personal goal to open Diana up to the beauty of the world.

“It is marvellous! I am in love, Teddy! I am quite resolute to remain here forever!” She had already collected a string of purple flowers and was now weaving them into her hair.

And this was not the first change Diana Bridgerton had made to her appearance since her departure from England. She had taken to wearing a golden Laurel upon her head, and her skirts had become more flowing and free.

She had been gone less than a month and she already feels so greatly improved. In intellect. In complexion. In countenance. In wit and cultural knowledge and accomplishment.

And this was only the beginning.

*****

So my darling girl has now arrived in Rome. She will be travelling across the continent for some time, getting to know Teddy, experiencing new things, and meeting new people - including a Prince.

Also, Teddy is going to be quite a surprise so I hope you all like him. He is so very lovable. I don’t usually have set actors playing characters but if I did it would be Christian Bale in Little Women.

Anyway, I hope you like this next section.

V