chapter nineteen - a flower crown

Friedrich turned to Diana with an expression of guilt

“I am a Prince. I never thought I would be lucky enough to marry the woman I loved, so when your Queen demanded I fulfil my princely duties... how could I say no?”

Diana sighed quietly, although she was beginning to understand things from his perspective.

When she had left for the continent she had been furious at everyone - especially herself. But now she was coming to the realisation that people like her and the Prince were rarely allowed to follow their heart.

“Will you be staying here much longer, Miss Bridgerton?” asked the Prince in an attempt to salvage the conversation.

“I am due to return home at the end of this week, that is not six days from now,” Diana did not realise until she said it how disappointed he was with this.

Naturally, she was excited to see her family again and longer to be able to join in their pursuits. But she continent had proven to be a kind of haven.

She was not ready to leave it.

“I am sorry to hear it - especially after I have travelled all this way,” commented the Prince as he sat down beside her on a small stone bench.

“What do you mean, your highness?”

He grinned at her, “Freddie, please. I think we can be considered friends by now?”

Diana chuckled quietly and nodded.

“And what I mean is - it is a shame for me to have travelled so far only to return back to England again. If you will have me that is?”

She took a moment to digest his words, furrowing her brows as she did.

Friedrich has to suppress a smile at her concentration on her face.

“Why would you want to come back with me?”

He raised an eyebrow, “have we not already discussed this?”

She looked up and caught his gaze. For a moment Diana Bridgerton felt a desperate desire to embrace the Prince. But she could not possibly behave so inappropriately toward a member of royalty.

“I would be more than happy to have you journey back with us, but won’t London society find it bizarre that you are doing so?”

He shrugged his shoulders in response.

“Perhaps, however I must remind you that I am a Prince. Therefore, they have to accept everything I do with a smile.”

“I see,” she grinned. “And what of me? Do I have to accept everything you do with a smile?” She knew it was rather flirtatious, but alas, Diana Bridgerton could not help herself.

“Of course Miss Bridgerton, you did not think you were special did you?” His joking tone greatly contradicted his words, leaving her wondering if he did truly think her special.

“Why of course not, Freddie.” As she spoke, Diana started plucking flowers from the bushes and vines surrounding them.

Throughout their conversation, she subconsciously started weaving them together into a crown of sorts.

He grinned again at his use of the name.

“I told my sister about you,” he declared.

“I thought you said I wasn’t special?” joked Diana with a gentle laugh as she plucked a pink flower from beside Friedrich’s head.

“Ah yes, well I was only telling about how you embarrassed yourself when we first met,” his eyes twinkled at the recollection whilst Diana found herself blushing furiously.

He must have thought her such an imbecile.

“Anyway, it would seem she wishes to meet you?”

“Really?” all previous mirth had now left Diana’s voice. For she knew that a strong friendship with his sister would be pivotal in a strong relationship with the Prince.

Not that she was thinking about him in that way.

Not at all.

“Yes, well it is something to consider. You need not say yes right away.”

Diana sighed in relief. It would take some emotional preparation by one introduced to the prince’s sister. Especially as she was rumoured to be one of the most beautiful women in Europe.

“What do you think?” She asked, showing him the crown.

“It is very... regal-“

The Prince was cut off by the Bridgerton as she stood up and moved so that she was standing in front of him.

His breath hitched at the proximity, but she did not seem to notice at all. Gently, she parted his hair and placed the crown onto his head. Friedrich relished the feeling of her hands running through his hair.

“There, you look very handsome,” she remarked, placing her hands on his shoulders and leaning back a little to admire him.

“I’m sure, but surely you would like one too?”

She shook her head teazingly, “you are the Prince after all. It is only fitting that you should be the one to wear it.”

Friedrich so desperately wanted to make a reply, but he knew it would be deemed far too inappropriate to speak his mind.

After all, she was not yet a Princess.

“Come,” spoke Diana as she broke the connection between them and grabbed his hand, leading him through the gardens.

“There is the most exquisite little temple that I should like to show you.”

Friedrich knew exactly which temple she was referring to, however, her excitement prevented him from saying so. H did not want to ruin her enjoyment of their time together, and he himself was quite content so long as they were in each other’s company.

Goodness, he was smitten.

***

Dearest readers,

You will now see that The Downfall Of Viscount Bridgerton is quite complete!

Do not fear - The Bridgerton Princess still has many more chapters to go. And there’s always Secret Truths!

Plus, I have been considering an Eloise story. Possibly a gay romance - but I’m not sure how many people would read it?

Yours faithfully,

Valentina