⚘five⚘

This author has often thought the heart a most curious of instruments, heeding neither reason nor rank. For what possible explanation might Miss Bridgerton have for entertaining the suit of a mere baron when she seems to have secured a Duke? Could the debutante's mind not be the only thing amiss? Let it be known, dear reader, that if this bizarre behavior portends yet another scandal, then be sure that I shall uncover it, for there is nothing like an excursion into nature to lift the spirits and loosen the tongue.

I sit with my family in the park. Aunt Featherington has still not allowed for Marina to come out of her room. A few men here and there have come to talk to Uncle Featherington, but I pay them no mind.

"Mama, might I go play with Eloise?" Penelope asks.

"A lady does not play, Penelope," Aunt Featherington tells her.

"Forgive me, Mama. Might I go promenade for suitors with Eloise?" Penelope asks.

"Very well, then," Aunt Featherington tells her.

I stand up as well. "I think I shall pay Daphne a visit. She's been so busy recently I have not been able to see her much."

Aunt Featherington waves me off without a word.

I walk over towards the Bridgerton family. "Good afternoon."

Everyone smiles and replies a "good afternoon".

I sit down next to Daphne on a blanket. "Hello, Daph."

Daphne smiles as she takes my hands in hers. "I have so much news."

"Well on with it," I tell her.

"Mama has been invited to a private tea by Her Majesty herself," Daphne tells me.

I smile. "That is wonderful. Aunt Featherington will be most displeased when she hears about it."

"Lady Featherington is most displeased with anything pertaining to anyone other than her daughters," Daphne states.

I chuckle lightly. "So what of you and Lord Berbrooke?"

"It is done," Daphne states.

"Good. You deserve better than Berbrooke could ever give you. Like maybe a Duke," I say. I can see Daphne smile ever so slightly. "So it is true? You and the Duke are courting?"

Anthony walks over to the two of us before Daphne can answer. "I would like a word with my sister."

I sigh. "You have the worst timing, Anthony."

I stand up and walk over to Gregory and Hyacinth. "What are you two playing?"

"Shuttlecock," Gregory tells me.

"Would you like to play with us?" Hyacinth asks.

"I was never very good at shuttlecock." I chuckle. "Do you by chance have spillikins"

"Di was a champion at spillikins in her day," Benedict tells them.

"I bet I can beat her," Gregory insists.

I smile. "I will accept the challenge."

I step back after a few long rounds of spillikins.

"You are great with my siblings," Benedict tells me.

"I always wanted siblings. The closest I got was Penelope and she is wonderful but I always longed for a large family like yours," I confess.

"Bridgerton!" A very badly beaten Berbrooke comes rushing towards Anthony paper in hand. "I bring cheerful news, Bridgertons. I have taken matters in my own hands and sought a special license for my wedding to Miss Bridgerton."