⚘twelve⚘

Miss Marina Thompson's recent fall from grace continues to echo through every drawing room in town, days after it was revealed her engagement to Colin Bridgerton was nothing more than a sham. Of course, a lady's disgrace does not merely tarnish her own name. Like the tars of the Thames, it also leaves a horrid smear on anyone nearby. While there is no parasol in the world strong enough to shelter a ruined woman, the fallen Miss Thompson can only hope she shall find a refuge... somewhere.

Daphne is back in town and has arranged a rendezvous between Colin and Marina. I tag along hoping to speak with Daphne in person. I have missed having my best friend around to speak to whenever I may need.

"Miss Thompson," Daphne greets. Marina curtsies. "Thank you for joining us."

"I did not realize I had a choice," Marina tells her.

"My brother wished for an audience. And I wish to avoid any further scandal attached to my family's name. I will remain here as a chaperone," Daphne tells her.

I follow her over to sit on a couch. I smile. "Daph. You are glowing."

Daphne smiles. "I wish I were back under better circumstances."

"Marina... you must tell me that this Whistledown woman is mistaken. What she wrote, it cannot be true," Colin insists.

"But it is," Marina confesses.

"You are with child? I do not understand. We were to be wed. You... You said you loved me," Colin says.

"Colin, I hold you in the greatest esteem," Marina tells him.

"'Esteem'? You are a cruel woman indeed to stand here and talk of friendly affection, as if you have not just committed a grave sin against me," Colin says.

"Speak not of sin, Mr. Bridgerton. I did not come here to be shamed by you, nor anyone else. I did not know better. You may think me a villain, but I did what I thought I must. No one ever truly helped me, or guided me in a different direction. I had no choice. I needed to wed. And you, you were the only man who offered me even a glimpse of happiness," Marina explains.

"So I should feel flattered, then? Consider myself lucky that you chose me, lied to me, tried to trick me into a fraud of a marriage?" Colin questions. "I shall take my leave of you for the last time, Miss Thompson." Colin walks to the door but stops and turns back to face Marina. "You wish to know the cruelest part of your deception? If you had simply come to me and told me of your situation... I'd have married you without a second thought. That is how in love I believed myself to be. But I see now that was all a lie." Colin walks out the door.

"I believe I would like to return home now. After all, we don't want another scandal attached to your family name," Marina tells Daphne before leaving.

"Might I stay?" I ask.

Daphne nods. "Of course."

"I know that what Marina has done has caused scandal for both your family and mine, but I do not wish to lose you as a friend," I confess.

Daphne grabs my hand. "And I do not intend to let that happen. You have always been held in the highest esteem. Everyone knows you are living with your Aunt and Uncle as a circumstance."

I nod my head. "I cannot imagine how different life would be had my mother and father lived." I shake my head. "But enough of feeling sorry for me. I do have something I did not wish to write about."

"What?" Daphne asks.

"The day of your wedding I nearly caused another scandal," I tell her.

"You?" Daphne asks. I nod. "How?"