⚘eleven⚘

Dearest gentle reader, I must send felicitations to the new Duke and Duchess of Hastings. Congratulations and stamina as they embark on the most exhilarating time in a young couple's life. I am, of course, talking of the honeymoon. Is there a more romantic notion? To retreat from society together... finally leaving watchful eyes behind. While this author, along with the rest of the ton, will certainly miss its most-remarked-upon couple back in London, perhaps we might find solace in the promise of the Duke and duchess returning to us bearing a surprise.

Today there is a picnic to attend. It is strange knowing Daphne will not be there. We always attend events together. Just knowing that she was there made me at ease. I always knew that I had a friend.

"Diana."

I see Benedict walking towards me.

"Benedict."

"Do not tell me that what my brother said has gotten to you," Benedict says.

"He is not wrong, Benedict. We were being careless," I state. "You said it yourself, it was a mistake."

Benedict looks like he wants to say something but his brother interrupts. "What did I tell you two?"

"We are standing in the middle of a garden," Benedict reminds him. "We are surrounded by people."

"When will you understand that I am just looking out for you both?" Anthony remarks.

Colin hits a glass with a knife drawing the attention of everyone. "May I have everyone's attention? I would like to make a small but important announcement. I have happy news to impart. I have asked Miss Marina Thompson to be my wife, and she has accepted."

Anthony walks away to speak with Lady Bridgerton.

I turn to Benedict. "Did you know about this?"

Benedict shakes his head. "No. Not a clue."

I force a smile. "I should go congratulate them."

"Di..." Benedict starts.

I shake my head. "I have to see to my family and you yours."

I sit in the parlor with Marina, Philipa, and Prudence.

"Do you think Colin will introduce us to his friends? Some of them are quite strapping," Prudence states.

"I am sure he will. I am sure all of our fortunes are about to change," Marina assures.

Penelope stands in the doorway. "Mm. Especially Colin's."

"You look very lovely today, Penelope," Marina tells her.

"Do not mock me," Penelope says with a smile.

Penelope sits down next to me on the couch and Marina sits beside her.

"It pains me you should think every compliment a mockery," Marina tells her.

"Do not pity me, either," Penelope says.

"I do not pity you, Penelope. I respect you. You have been a true friend since I arrived here, and I rely on your continued friendship and sympathy," Marina tells her.

Penelope laughs. "My continued silence, you mean?"

"You think so little of me, I cannot bear it. I never would have made my way through this awful tangle without your kindness. Please do not tell me you regret it," Marina says.

"I would never bring scandal on you or our family, if that is what you ask, but I cannot condone your actions," Penelope tells her.

"I want you as my friend, Pen. Can you not try to understand and be a little pleased for me?" Marina asks.